39 Round Drums?

from what i've seen the 39rounders can go for *almost* as much as the 50's. and if i remember correctly the 39's tend to have a few feeding issues. something about they were'nt made to fire live ammo??

i was once looking for a 39rd drum as well, then seen a few 50's for sale and deceided to just save a little more for "extra" 11rds. as of now i don't have my own 50rd drum but it'll happen,then all i'll need is a C-drum.......

I agree with Brian. Just save your cash for a few more months. You'll be happy you did. Plus, when you get your 28 or 21 one day, you won't be saddled with a hunk of metal you don't want! Look for bargains, then, like shows or shoots. I still hear about folks picking up WH L drums for five and six hundred. I know my dealer would sell one for that or less....

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/tracerdrum.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............................

If you are going to fire them, you should get an "L".

The 39's are good for show and the occasional run with

a semi... Even with my Westy, it would fall to feed, mainspring break, etc...

It's not worth the grief if you can save a few more dollars...

Zamm

Pass on the 39 rd drums - I picked up a WH last week for $450.. in great shape - also a Bridgeport for $ 600. in like new condition. Just wait and look around. Dont get in a hurry.

One of the problems with the 39 round drum is that the rotor has a flange at the back that takes up a little room. Thus is you have slightly long cartridges, they fit so tight when you put the lid on that they bind and won't go around. A handloader can just seat the bullet a little deeper and no problem. If you don't load, you are still in luck.

Merle to the rescue again. He made a jig to put in his lathe that takes off some of the metal on the rotor flange and thus will free up a little more room in the drum. I just had him do my 39 round drum and it runs very well.

Another thing to look at Merle said is that there were three types of springs put inside of them over the years. Some are stronger than others.

Dan

Deerslayer - thanks for the knowledge - I didn't know that some had coil springs. I have several and all have different spring tension. I think they are best used in the semi auto as I can't get reliable function in my 28.