Thompson 1927A1, L Bridgeport magazine

I have a Thompson 1927A1 made in West Hurley and I am trying to find out when it was made. The serial number is 14981, and I inherited it from my Dad. If anyone has an idea on its age, or how to find out, I would be grateful.

Also, I am looking to purchase an L Bridgeport drum magazine for the gun. There are new ones on the market, but most say they do not work with the West Hurley models. If anyone has one they would like to sell or know of someone wanting to sell, please let me know!

Thank you!

Phil

Seems to me we agreed that the "caveat" that Kahr drums aren't backwards-compatible with West Hurleys was pure legal-speak. The receiver slots are the same size and configuration.

Did take a couple whacks with a soft mallet to narrow the Kahr drum to fit. Sloppy sheet-metal work on their part... Phil

45ACP Tommy Gun Drum Magazine, 50rd. - Kahr Firearms Group (shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com)

Edited by anjong-ni

Philk, there is a semi auto side of this forum where a bunch of your West Hurley questions can be answered, and posted. At the top of the Semi Auto board is this link for the serial number look up. http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19790. The FAQ section has a bunch of good info as well. The Taiwan drums are functional in all models and have been excellent runners for a shooter drum, around $170.

Edited by Motorcar

Thank everyone for your helpful advice! I did see the Taiwan drums listed on Google but wasn't sure if they would work. I will order one and give it a try. When I spoke to Kahr I was told they would not work on Est Hurley models or guns before 1990. I did find out my gun was made in 1986.