Trade My Tommy For A M16?

There is a guy who wants to trade me an M16 (Frankford Arsenal) or a Colt AR15 converted to M16 for my 27A1 full-auto Tommy. Both guns are in good condition. Should I do it?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. There is a guy who wants to trade me an M16 (Frankford Arsenal) or a Colt AR15 converted to M16 for my 27A1 full-auto Tommy. Both guns are in good condition. Should I do it?

• Trade for Fankford Arsenal M16.
    • Trade for converted Colt AR15.
    • Don't trade.

I just wanted the opinion of people here on the board.

I like my Tommy gun, but I know that the M16 platform is very versital.

I have to admit that I am leaning towards NOT trading.

Tell me what you think.

Norm

Not enough info to make an educated vote.

Conversion M-16's are running 9,500 to 10,500. Don't know what your Tommy is worth. Accessories mean a lot as well.

What do you want to do with the M-16? If you are looking for a versatile platform, that's it. .22, beltfed .22, 9mm .223, .40, .45, and oh yeah, the elusive Shrike. If you think your Tommy is worth more than the cost of a conversion, strike a deal on a real Colt, sell the Tommy and you'll be better off. Functioning wise and investment wise.

Ken

If you can afford to have both, do it. Granted the M16 platform is versatile and there is something about that black rifle but there is nothing like a Thompson. If you are going to make a change I agree, go with a Colt.

Good Luck on your decision

Can anyone provide a pic of the firing pin/sear made by Broadhead? A buddy just picked up a very early WH 27A1 that has many modification to it's lower and he's a bit concerned why anyone would do that to the gun. Not needed for the firing pin/sear, right?

Chuck

Can anyone provide a pic of the firing pin/sear made by Broadhead? A buddy just picked up a very early WH 27A1 that has many modification to it's lower and he's a bit concerned why anyone would do that to the gun. Not needed for the firing pin/sear, right?

Chuck

Nope, no mods needed unless you want to make it select fire.

http://westernfirearms.com/0/wfc/thompson/images/11/100.jpg

Link

QUOTE (philasteen @ Mar 16 2006, 02:02 PM)
What's the lifespan of one of those sears? Is it finite (5K, 10K 100K rounds?)

Norm was able to abtain a ATF letter saying that these may be repaired to keep them functional so I would say they are good to go forever or until they pass a law and come and take them away.

QUOTE (TNKen @ Mar 16 2006, 08:59 AM)
Not enough info to make an educated vote.

Conversion M-16's are running 9,500 to 10,500. Don't know what your Tommy is worth. Accessories mean a lot as well.

What do you want to do with the M-16? If you are looking for a versatile platform, that's it. .22, beltfed .22, 9mm .223, .40, .45, and oh yeah, the elusive Shrike. If you think your Tommy is worth more than the cost of a conversion, strike a deal on a real Colt, sell the Tommy and you'll be better off. Functioning wise and investment wise.

Ken

Good points, I think a trade value on Norm's gun at minimum is 15K...........

Thanks Z3,

Now I wonder why they would modify the lower on his 27A1? Thewy milled out a small section that you can barely see. The arm in the pic is very loose and it has been filed on as well? here's a pic

Any suggestions?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/FirstSergeant/100_0582.jpg

sorry about the photo quality

Chuck

You know what's funny? I know a guy who is wondering if he should trade his Frankford Arsenal M16 or converted SP-1 for a converted 1927A1 Thompson. A lot of black rifle fans are telling him not to. Oh, wait, that guy is me!

What we may have here is collector of contemporary / modern firepower looking to visit, as best as he can afford, that classic era of days gone by. When machine guns were hardwood and blued steel.

We may also have a collector who has been in that antique era too long and wants something sexy, modern, and seen on TV tonight. Something synthetic and space age. A gun at home with lasers and night vision.

To the person who sees these guns with only dollar signs, they don't match up perfectly. And that observation is valid. But it is not only about that.

I came on this board a couple of weeks ago looking for Paul Krough because he and Doug Richardson did the work on this Tommy. I was doing my "due dilligence". I've been able to email Paul and learn about the history of this particular gun. Seems like a great guy and a great gun.

So keep voting and opinionating, it has been very helpful and I really mean that.

Thanks,

ODA572

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/oda572/DSC00416.jpg

Do you get to trade back when you miss your tommy to much.

If I trade, I will miss it; but I miss most of the guns I have sold over the years. That is the pitfall of enjoying firearms.

I am still not decided on this.

If anyone has any opinions (pro or con), lay it on me.

I know that putting a question like this on the Thompson board does invite some bias, but I think that most of the responses are honest ones.

Thanks for votes! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

Norm,

I have a Colt M 16 & the Broadhead pins. Can't say I shoot one more than the other. I know you have seen the new Thompsons built on the reg."tubes". This leaves the door open to what a man can make with one of the pins as long as Model M 27 marked on the side of this pin "Thompson?". I think is is hard to put a price on the pin. Just my $.02. Flame away.

Billy Floyd

Ok guys, after all things considered, I have decided to keep my Thompson. I have become too attached to it.

After all, it was built by many members on this board.

From a realistic (tactical) point of view, the M16 was the way to go; but I guess I just like the old classics.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Norm

PS: If anyone has a Thompson that they want to trade for an M16, it would be a goo idea to contact "oda 572" right now.