Wrong Buffer in 1928a1 ?

Recently acquired a Savage Mfr 1928a1 serial 551,000 range

It seems to shoot faster than what i expected. I dont have a working timer so I

cant time it, But it has what I think is a M1a1/M1 buffer system, correct?

Would that buffer/spring combo make it run faster than a 28?

should I change it to what a 28 should have?

3Mat1U.jpg
ZIvrzC.jpg
Edited by Grease Gunner

I would change it back to the correct 1928 assembly. This is what the buffer pilot should look like, make sure that you get USGI Part(s).

i have those parts and will make the change. for buffers i have pk's-Thanks a lot,sir!

I do not have the parts here in front of me right now, but is the pilot hole in the rear of the receiver the same size for an M1 as a 1928? I think it is larger. Which means the hole would have to be enlarged in your 28 to make that set up work. I have seen another gun just like that, the pilot was actually tapered in front as well. I think someone was trying to make it easier to field strip the gun.

However, I think at one time the gun I saw had a Speedbolt in it. Make sure you don't have that anymore!

Can you measure the hole for the pilot and also post pics of all the rest of your current internals?

I changed my 28a1 back to the correct pilot and buffer and what i took out is something i have not seen before

the pilot that was in the gun actually has an internal spring.I compressed it in the last picture

jufIcs.jpg
I2MnlL.jpg
dvS8gA.jpg
years ago a company called sprinco made something similar for 1911 pistols where the recoil spring guide also compressed
in addition to the recoil spring
Giant Panda was right on!!
i will take pics of the internals and measure the hole for the pilot
Edited by Grease Gunner

I changed my 28a1 back to the correct pilot and buffer and what i took out is something i have not seen before

the pilot that was in the gun actually has an internal spring.I compressed it in the last picture

jufIcs.jpg

I2MnlL.jpg

dvS8gA.jpg

years ago a company called sprinco made something similar for 1911 pistols where the recoil spring guide also compressed

in addition to the recoil spring

Giant Panda was right on!!

i will take pics of the internals and measure the hole for the pilot

"Gunmachines" made those spring loaded pilot rods.

This buffer pilot assembly appears to be an old GUNMACHINES invention.

GunMachines 800 RPM Reliability Kit for Model 1928 TSMG.jpg

GunMachines M1 M1A1 Reliability Kit Package.jpg

gunmachines1.jpg

My recommendation is not to use anything from this now defunct company, especially the SpeedBolt.

timkel,

Do those springloaded pilots work?

does it change ROF or perceived recoil?

Thanks

I don't think the spring loaded pilot by itself, had any effect on the ROF. I have an old catalog somewhere. I'll have to look it up. Edited by timkel

Even with a GI bolt assembly, this pilot and buffer system made the gun I saw run pretty quick! No actual rate, but it was as fast as a 21.

Again, check the pilot diameter between your Gunmachines pilot and the GI 28 pilot. You may need a special 1928 style one (IIRC, PK has made them...?) with a slightly larger end on it if they are not the same size. Otherwise it may be a bit sloppy.

when spring tensions are increased ROF goes up so the effect that the gunmachines pilot would increase it

I shot one mag thru it flawlessly but it seemed fast.

if anyone wants my old gunmachines pilot, its free just pay the shipping.

i have no use for it

I measured my pilots. The one I am sending to guantpanda is 8.66mm where it goes thru the receiver

the one that i had in my parts bin is 8.76mm. .one tenth of a mm fatter in thousandths thats .04 of an inch. it wont matter!

Correction, 4 / one thosandths .004

Edited by Grease Gunner