Looking to get my first Thompson

Hey Everyone,

Title says it all I would like to get a Thompson. Preferably with a cutts compensator, vertical fore grip, ribbed barrel. Think early gangster style. I would like to avoid WH, I have a flexible budget. Im no stranger to the NFA world I have an MP-40, MP-43, and MP-44 all on form 4s. But I really love the Tommy gun. Any help from this wonderful community would be greatly appreciated.

Okay So you want a 21 or a 28? From your experience you know how expensive this form 4 stuff can be.Colt's are the gold standard and good ones run between 30 and 60K. Then you have Savage and Auto Ordinance 28's . Savage seem to be a little more expensive (early commercial) but definitely better quality than a West Hurley. Other members can chime in, but at current prices but i guess somewhere in the 22K to 26K range?

Hey Everyone,

Title says it all I would like to get a Thompson. Preferably with a cutts compensator, vertical fore grip, ribbed barrel. Think early gangster style. I would like to avoid WH, I have a flexible budget. Im no stranger to the NFA world I have an MP-40, MP-43, and MP-44 all on form 4s. But I really love the Tommy gun. Any help from this wonderful community would be greatly appreciated.

Private Message sent.

Okay So you want a 21 or a 28? From your experience you know how expensive this form 4 stuff can be.Colt's are the gold standard and good ones run between 30 and 60K. Then you have Savage and Auto Ordinance 28's . Savage seem to be a little more expensive (early commercial) but definitely better quality than a West Hurley. Other members can chime in, but at current prices but i guess somewhere in the 22K to 26K range?

I would love a 21 but that is just out of my price range, The Savage hits my price range pretty well. Can someone explain to me how they are better than the WHs? I have looked over the FAQs for this stuff which is why I reached out.

The savage was supplied to our troops during the war and there was strict quality control and oversight because lives depended on its reliability. The WH, some, but not all of them, were produced with less oversight and it seems that specs and quality were looser. It seems that while milling the reciever, the tolerances were not always strictly adhered to. Some work well, some not so well. Do note that receivers can be brought into specs by a good thompsonsmith.

There are a number of good books written by Forum members that you might want to consult. American Thunder Third Edition by Frank Iannamico, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story by Tom Davis, and The Ultimate Thompson Book by Tracie Hill.

There are a number of good books written by Forum members that you might want to consult. American Thunder Third Edition by Frank Iannamico, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story by Tom Davis, and The Ultimate Thompson Book by Tracie Hill.

Awesome can I grab these on amazon? Ill definitely start some independent research and if it supports forum members even better!

• Upvote 1

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15828-cr-thompson-1928-wh-with-drum/

I have seen this ad from Ruben he states that, Totally Checked Out, Upgraded, Test Fired and Cleaned by Mr. Dan Block. Wood was also cleaned and rejuvenated. Does this mean this gun has been reworked to prevent the known WH QA issues? What do you guys think?

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15828-cr-thompson-1928-wh-with-drum/

I have seen this ad from Ruben he states that, Totally Checked Out, Upgraded, Test Fired and Cleaned by Mr. Dan Block. Wood was also cleaned and rejuvenated. Does this mean this gun has been reworked to prevent the known WH QA issues? What do you guys think?

Ruben is pretty responsive and should be able to get you any details on the condition and function. I wouldn't make any assumptions but (as has been pointed out) the majority of known QA issues could be easily fixed. I think if a qualified gunsmith or owner has put some TLC into it, you are most likely good to go. I've owned 2 WHs (sold 1) and they both worked fine with some common part upgrades/replacements. The only issue I had was some rusting starting to form at the mounting points underneath the rear sight (inside the receiver).

Edited by heavy artillery

My WH ran fine. I did eventually replace most of the internals with GI parts. I recently had PK work it over and now it is as good better than ever. I never regret having PK do his magic.

• Upvote 1

Dan Block is a good Thompson gunsmith. He is on this forum pretty actively as “deerslayer”. I bought my 1928 WH Thompson from Ruben. He is a great guy and stands by his products to make sure you’re happy. You might pay a bit more from Ruben but you have that security of knowing he wants to make sure you have a good product. Ruben even paid for my WH to be sent to Dan for a tune up after I bought it and encountered chamber issues.

Many WH’s run well with just some basic parts swap and light work. You will read about complete rework/overhaul of WH guns and that is where PK comes in. PK’s work is well documented on the forum but he isn’t adding to his list for WH Thompson overhauls due to his already long waiting list. John Andrewski would be a good second option. That being said, if Dan Block checked out the Thompson you’re looking at you can buy with confidence.

Edited by cbmott

my ole WH runs just fine although I wanted a shooter and something that if I upgrade, part broke or change the wood or put 28 internals in it, no problem. BTW mine is not for sale. Good luck on your search this is a great place for you to make your informed decision on which one(s) you need.

Edited by Vettom

West Hurley guns can be very problematic. They were manufactured to compete at the bottom of the Thompson market with a suggested list price around $400 when first introduced. None were manufactured to strict Colt's or GI specifications. If not for the machine gun ban in 1986, I dare say they would be about worthless. Of course, the machine gun ban changed everything and now these 3000 or so registered Thompson guns command decent prices. Those luckey enough to have a WH re-manufactured by PK. at Diamond K Companies in Delta, Colorado are very happy with the final product. Unfortunately, the demand for this service is overwhelming and the wait at Diamond K is believed to be approximately 4 or 5 years.

I have heard John Andrewski does good work but I have never seen evidence of him replacing or correcting the Blish lock slots in the receiver. I believe correcting the Blish lock slots is a key part of insuring reliability of the WH 1928 guns for the long term. Ruben is an excellent dealer with an excellent reputation. If you purchase a WH from him, you know that it has been examined and test fired by Dan Block, someone well known on this forum and quite familiar with the Thompson gun. I would guess at a minimum Dan insures the buffer pilot is a GI part and the barrel chamber is within proper specification as WH barrels can be very problematic. Perhaps, Dan can chime in as to his inspection process. It does appear all the WH guns Ruben sells will run.

I usually advise prospective purchasers to look for a Thompson gun manufactured during World War II instead of a WH gun if their budget can afford the additional expense. If not, the WH Thompson guns do get you a "Tommy Gun" that will slowly appreciate in value.

Colt's, of course, are a different ball game. But shooter grade Colt's are also a consideration. A buyer also has to be aware of the many well used, mismatched, refinished, and downright ugly and overpriced World War II Thompson guns on the market. This is an expensive purchase regardless what variation is ultimately chosen. A smart buyer will buy (and study) several books on the Thompson gun, join one or both of the Thompson Associations, and attend a Show & Shoot to view all the different variations in one setting and speak with many knowledgeable owners while scouting the market for that perfect gun.

Good Luck!

West Hurley guns can be very problematic. They were manufactured to compete at the bottom of the Thompson market with a suggested list price around $400 when first introduced. None were manufactured to strict Colt's or GI specifications. If not for the machine gun ban in 1986, I dare say they would be about worthless. Of course, the machine gun ban changed everything and now these 3000 or so registered Thompson guns command decent prices. Those luckey enough to have a WH re-manufactured by PK. at Diamond K Companies in Delta, Colorado are very happy with the final product. Unfortunately, the demand for this service is overwhelming and the wait at Diamond K is believed to be approximately 4 or 5 years.

I have heard John Andrewski does good work but I have never seen evidence of him replacing or correcting the Blish lock slots in the receiver. I believe correcting the Blish lock slots is a key part of insuring reliability of the WH 1928 guns for the long term. Ruben is an excellent dealer with an excellent reputation. If you purchase a WH from him, you know that it has been examined and test fired by Dan Block, someone well known on this forum and quite familiar with the Thompson gun. I would guess at a minimum Dan insures the buffer pilot is a GI part and the barrel chamber is within proper specification as WH barrels can be very problematic. Perhaps, Dan can chime in as to his inspection process. It does appear all the WH guns Ruben sells will run.

I usually advise prospective purchasers to look for a Thompson gun manufactured during World War II instead of a WH gun if their budget can afford the additional expense. If not, the WH Thompson guns do get you a "Tommy Gun" that will slowly appreciate in value.

Colt's, of course, are a different ball game. But shooter grade Colt's are also a consideration. A buyer also has to be aware of the many well used, mismatched, refinished, and downright ugly and overpriced World War II Thompson guns on the market. This is an expensive purchase regardless what variation is ultimately chosen. A smart buyer will buy (and study) several books on the Thompson gun, join one or both of the Thompson Associations, and attend a Show & Shoot to view all the different variations in one setting and speak with many knowledgeable owners while scouting the market for that perfect gun.

Good Luck!

Awesome information thanks Ive picked up a few of the suggested books to get educated on the weapon. It sounds like if I can afford the next level up as shooter it would be in my best interest. Would that be a Bridgeport or Salvage arms TSMG?

Im strongly considering trading one of my nicer pieces for a high end TSMG. Does anyone know anyone that might be interested in an all matching vet bring back MP-44 in excellent condition? I have another one and Im really looking for a Thompson.

I sent you a pm

I bought my WH in 1980 & its been flawless shooting it , I did after many years shooting it I send it to Diamond K PK for a little tune up .

he did a great job on it and I was totally satisfied with his work .

Tino