Site Temporarily Not Accepting New Registrations Due to SPAM Attempts

I've had to turn off new member registrations temporarily because of Russian spammers attacking the site. Again, this is why I maintain a manual approval queue, and it sometimes takes a few days to get on the site as a new member.

We have very good infrastructure backing us up, so the attack has not affected performance. in the past 72 hours, I've had thousands of Russian originated attempts to register, and they have either learned the answers to all 6 challenge questions, or found a way around the security feature. I currently have over 250 registrations in the queue to review, most of which are obviously spammers, but each one takes about 10 seconds to delete if they are obvious, and if they are not obvious, I have to Google the email address, and sometimes the IP address to determine if they are legitimate, so it can easily add up to hours to clear the queue.

Anyway, it's been taking a lot of my time as of late to keep us going, and hopefully this will pass as has occurred in the past.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

David,

I add my thanks to you for standing guard here for the safety of the site and members. I'm sure you have other things to do and we appreciate all your efforts, as other good guys have been mentioned here.