Barrel Wear Opinions Please

I'm not seeing much wear or any corrosion. The one with the "weird" lands, probably was made that way.

This 1928 barrel looks shiny and clean to my eye. With the scope makes it looks like it needs a good cleaning.

Tom28bore001.jpg

Tom28_Bore002.jpg

Hi,

Nice thing about large bore pistol caliber guns - If you can see the rifling, chances are it will shoot just fine.

I'd put them on paper at say 25 yards. If the bullets make nice round holes, you are good to go if the gun is functioning. If the holes indicate the bullets going sideways through the paper, it is time to crown the barrel or replace it.

I've got one with no visible lands for 1/2 the length of the barrel. Darn thing still doesn't miss a 6" steel plate at 40 yards. (I checked, bullets are flying straight.)

I load my own when it comes to cartridges so I've not had any trouble with inadequate pressure to run the guns. Most of my loads are on the lower end of the scale in deference to the age/cost of replacement parts.

All that being said, if you shoot your stable of '28s, I'd invest in a NOS barrel while they are still around. This will prevent you from ever needing to replace one :) I've got a friend over in Longwood that can change them out.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

Hi,

Nice thing about large bore pistol caliber guns - If you can see the rifling, chances are it will shoot just fine.

I'd put them on paper at say 25 yards. If the bullets make nice round holes, you are good to go if the gun is functioning. If the holes indicate the bullets going sideways through the paper, it is time to crown the barrel or replace it.

I've got one with no visible lands for 1/2 the length of the barrel. Darn thing still doesn't miss a 6" steel plate at 40 yards. (I checked, bullets are flying straight.)

I load my own when it comes to cartridges so I've not had any trouble with inadequate pressure to run the guns. Most of my loads are on the lower end of the scale in deference to the age/cost of replacement parts.

All that being said, if you shoot your stable of '28s, I'd invest in a NOS barrel while they are still around. This will prevent you from ever needing to replace one :) I've got a friend over in Longwood that can change them out.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Great advice and i do stock many spare parts for all my guns. Mags too. Probably a good investment even if they are never needed. I will use your buddy if they need changing. Thanks for the advice.

Eric

How does it shoot?

Still have to shoot 1 of them. Just came home. I did shoot the other 2 from time to time while they were in time out with the old owner. Shot great.

Eric

If it shoot good, no need to change a thing. Like Bob said, if it is inaccurate or does not have full recoil and fails to strip a new round, that is the time to look into it.

Eric- I replied to your PM March 11th.

Will call you today or tomorrow.

Sorry for delay very busy and I am the only one who does the emails.

Bob

No hurry Bob. TY i placed an order on your website and i appreciate your help. Good to be busy :)

Eric