Got a call froma local law firm that's working on an estate, from their description, there's what sounds like a WWII M1A1 rocket launcher. They can't seem to figure out where its markings are though so we can call ATF and find out if its registered. Does anyone know where to look? Id hate to demill a registered launcher, however, unless I can figure out where its marked, they want me to cut it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

:lol:

Ok , first you need to see what they have. First question...is it real ? There is an outfit that makes 1:1 copies that look / feel / heft like the real thing. They are not marked at all ( I'm holding one now ). They are for reinactors and to fill people's collection. Have them check out the wood shoulder stock. Is the bottom "trap door" screwed closed ( there is solid wood under it ) ? That's a repro. Real ones will have a latch to open it and , when swung open , two holes that will each hold 2 "D" cell flashlight batteries. One hole is just a hole to hold two spares , the other will be like the guts of a flashlight , with a electricial connector down at the bottom and another at the top , which would be for the pair being used.

I have some books on these at home , but I think the real M1A1s were marked like my real M9A1 ( now in my hands). It has the serial number above and " GE " for General Electric centered below. This is located on the left side , rear of tube , just under the latch that holds the rocket in place.

If real and registered , please give me a crack at it if they decide to sell.

thanks , Chris

it's a real one alright. the trap door has a catch (which part of it is missing) along with the cut outs for the batteries and some electrical looking things in it. This thing looks old and used. Just really not crisp enough to be a repro and the family said they've had it since the 60's at least. It looks like it's been painted a few times which is not uncommon for military stuff like this, so before stripping the paint, I wanted to figure out where I needed to clean it up. I'll let you guys know what I find out on it. If it turns out to have not been registered, I suppose the only route is to weld a bar at each end of the tube and cut a hole the diameter of the bore in the side of it. as my company brought in all the M20 Rocket Launchers from Portugal in the 90's, I think it would be neat to put this with the couple I held onto. Anyway, I'll keep you posted and maybe put some pics up as well, and thank you very much!

any idea what it's worth? i can't seem to find any that have sold in any configuration except for the repros.

any idea where else it might be marked? i went over there yesterday afternoon (to the law office that is where it's being held), with a wire brush and some acetone...and came up with nothing. it certainly is a real launcher though

I am told the only marks are a serial number on the left side of the breach.

Pics below.

-wwiifirearms

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/wwiifirearms/5f5590d5.png

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/wwiifirearms/e39a9f51.png

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss281/wwiifirearms/bfa13459.png

Edited by wwiifirearms

It looks exactly like the top one in the picture. Looks like I'm going to have to go back over there bring a wire brush and some paint remover. The grips are missing, the latch thingy on the bottom of the wood part is missing, but other than that, it's really nice. Even has the shield thing that goes on the front (which is still in the original wrapping with the label). I'll try and get some pictures as well. Any idea on where to find a set of grips for it? Thank you very much for your assistance.

I've seen grip assmlys for the M9A1 ( bottom one ) , but not for the M1 style. If you know someone who does woodworking or pistol grips , they could turn you a pair out. They are just a block of wood , cut in half up the center , rounded at the four corners , arc cut at the top to clear the tube , two scews through the frame to hold in place , four wood screws at the bottom to hold the sling swivel assmly on . You might check with the guy making repros , he might sell a pr. , but you'd have to hollow out the inside for clearance.

Chris

Just curious, how do you go about determining if an NFA item is registered? Can you just call the NFA, or is there a form to fill out? Can anyone check or just an FFL?

Periodically people inherit items that are assumed to be contraband, and it would be nice to know how they can check.

-wwiifirearms

I just got the serial number and other info and called them. The weapons are listed by serial number . They will only tell you if it's in there or not , all the other info is private. If it's there , the owner can request a sheet stating that ( they don't make replacement stamps) . You can then start a transfer , which would result in new paperwork and a proper copy in your name. If it is not in there , then ask for instructions about turning it in . I would then strip it of all parts and turn in the reciever.

Chris

• 2 years later...

/default/laugh.gif

Ok , first you need to see what they have. First question...is it real ? There is an outfit that makes 1:1 copies that look / feel / heft like the real thing. They are not marked at all ( I'm holding one now ). They are for reinactors and to fill people's collection. Have them check out the wood shoulder stock. Is the bottom "trap door" screwed closed ( there is solid wood under it ) ? That's a repro. Real ones will have a latch to open it and , when swung open , two holes that will each hold 2 "D" cell flashlight batteries. One hole is just a hole to hold two spares , the other will be like the guts of a flashlight , with a electricial connector down at the bottom and another at the top , which would be for the pair being used.

I have some books on these at home , but I think the real M1A1s were marked like my real M9A1 ( now in my hands). It has the serial number above and " GE " for General Electric centered below. This is located on the left side , rear of tube , just under the latch that holds the rocket in place.

If real and registered , please give me a crack at it if they decide to sell.

thanks , Chris

how much that sell for real

and replica

• 3 weeks later...

A demill'd bazooka( has big hole cut in it and plate or bar welded in it) can range from $300 for a Spanish to $2500 for a German. I would guess a US one $1500-$2500.

A reproduction "model" maybe $150 to $1500, depending on how realistic.

A live registered original w/o ammo, who knows. I'd guess $6000 to $60,000 depending on country and age.

Just my guesses. Haven't seen a live one offered for sale, but I am estimating based on the prices on other cool stuff like flame throwers and cannons.

There are airsoft ones , which have to be imported , in the $300-$350 range . The metal made replicas go in the $650-$700 range . I paid $3,000 for my M9A1 a few years ago , but they're up into the $5,000 range now ( in stone cold mint condition ) . Major task would be finding one for sale . Missing parts ( where you going to find replacements ? ) and repaints would knock the price down quick .

Chris