Perhaps a Toronto Police Force Reising

Canuck

I think it was just prior to the end of WWII, in mid 1945, that the Toronto Police Force obtained twelve or fifteen Reisings to supplement their Thompsons. I used to have a copy of a newspaper article from the time, that warned any would be low life, the TPF had obtained these guns to deal with them. The article didn't mention the source of the guns.

A few years ago I made an absentee bid on a Reising which was at an auction in Alberta. I was high bidder and the gun arrived a couple of weeks later. Upon inspection I discovered the stock was stamped "T.P.F. 11" which gives me pause to think it may very well be one of the guns Toronto bought. There are no proof marks to indicate any particular military or police service on the gun. Of course the serial number (106230) and the make and model are there. It shows little sign of use and the barrel is absolutely minty.

I will be displaying the gun at a show in the near future so have removed the bolt as it is a requirement with full auto guns.

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

Edited by Canuck
  • Upvote 1

IMG_1465.JPG

Any numbers or letters stamped on the barrel? Is there a P that has a punch mark in the loop?

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8879

Bridgeport28A1,

Yes, there is a barrel proof mark and a punch mark on the receiver. A capital P beside a 2 over a M. I am editing my original post as I was referring specifically to military or police proof marks. It also has the three screw trigger guard.

Cheers, Canuck

Edited by Canuck

Very nice Canuck. How much do these typically sell for in Canada with your interesting machinegun laws?

I honestly can't say what is typical but I can tell you I paid $600.00.

I asked another collector (who owns a Model 50) what he thought my maximum bid should be and he said $800.00 was probably good. I don't know if all auctions work this way with absentee bids but this was how I was told it was done at this particular one. I gave my max bid as 800 and, at the actual auction, the auctioneer tells the live bidders he has an absentee bid of 400, does he hear 500. He opens at half the highest maximum absentee bid.If he had started by saying he had an 800 bid the very next bid would have put me out. Apparently one live bidder went to 500 and the auction person representing me went to 600. There were no more bids from the floor and I "won" the auction. When I sent in my bid I was asked if someone bid 800 from the floor would I authorize them to go up one more increment. I opted not to. It seems like a decent method to me.

I have had the gun almost exactly six years now and am aware of only one other changing hands. In that case there was no cash exchanged just various firearms horse traded. I haven't seen any deactivated Reisings on the Canadian collector market so can't comment on that sector. Likely more than $600!

Interesting. I paid ten times that for one on this side of the border. In some ways your market is better than ours.

If we had similar firearms law I'm sure the cost in Canada would be much higher. I am limited to collecting only as the authorities prohibited shooting some years ago.

• 8 months later...

I recently acquired a second Reising which, I think, you will find interesting .

I had no particular desire to add a second Model 50 to my collection but the fact that the stock was stamped TPF 12 made me sit up and notice. What would be the possibility of reuniting two Toronto Police Force Reisings let alone consecutively stamped # 11 and 12.

Well, the absolute bonus is the firearms serial numbers are also consecutive. TPF 11 is 106230 and TPF 12 is 106231.

I wonder where these two have been over the last seventy three years?

IMG_1694.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...