Sten Mk2 Stock Options

looks like im late to the game for options...

there was a AR 15 stock adapter and a folding stock setup.....cant find either

anyone know where i can find the folding stock paratrooper one(looks like a Madsen/S&W 76)?

I know the guy who made the AR adapter...and he isnt making them anymore

can you send me a pic? ive found a post of it and it said the trigger was too close and it was awkward

ive never shot a sten......just looking for options...maybe ill like the factory stock.....ive got a T stock coming also to try out

I put a MKV walnut stock on my MK2. Give it a bit more weight and I think it makes it easier / more fun to shoot.

can i get a pic of what you did?

i have the T stock now...it feels like crap...shocking this was even an option....

I put a MKV walnut stock on my MK2. Give it a bit more weight and I think it makes it easier / more fun to shoot.

can i get a pic of what you did?

i have the T stock now...it feels like crap...shocking this was even an option....

Google Sten MkV and youll see what hes talking about.

Ron

Ron.....so the mk5 stock just plops on....feels good? looks similar to the one mine comes with....i prefer the mk5 look better....

also where do you get that front shroud grip?

might transform the gun a bit

last question----how accurate are the sights?? on? 6" off? 24" off?

i just got a mac 11a1 and the sights are 24" high at 25 yards....im hoping the sten is a bit better....ive seen mountings for a red dot, but that would be a last resort

got the barrel pin out today...removed the shroud..i believe i have a NOS barrel on my gun...its absolutely flawless...paint is near 100% on the front half...looks like they painted it assembled onto the gun....light spray under the shroud, no spray where it attaches to the gun....bore 100% brand new looking...not even a mark on the feed ramp...kinda cool to get a time capsule for a parts kit....whole gun looks like it was unused...probably 90% paint remaining, very little to no rust

Edited by huggytree

STEN barrels were never painted as new and service Armourers werent allowed to paint barrels until 1948 I think it was. Have you found any makers or other markings on the barrel? Some barrels were formed on a mandrel and look worn out even when new. Ive seen barrels with the words factory No1 (2 and 3), Belgian proof marks, makers name, dispersal codes and in some cases (like my Ex Finn gun) no markings at all.

With regards to the book mentioned, its a brilliant reference book written by a friend of mine Captain Peter Laidler. Hes also written a Bren book but as Collector Grade Publications have already published the Bren gun saga they are sitting on it.

how could the barrel be unpainted?

so a black gun would have a silver barrel???? no finish?

i cant find a mark on the barrel...where is a common place to look..i see 1 mark that looks like a number 1, or it could be a punch to test hardness...mid way up the barrel...

bore is brand new looking....throat still has some paint on it

On mine the MKV butt required some filework before it would fit but was pretty close to begin with. You can see looking at the pictures I posted that it's not a perfect fit, but it's solid. I've scavenged several parts kits from Apex to try different things. Now I have some options and a lot of spare parts.

The grip on the front is a MarkV pistol grip (from the same kit) that was modified to fit on the shroud. I didn't take pictures of the before and after project but I like how it turned out. Someday I'll go back and try to make a better one.

Ron.....so the mk5 stock just plops on....feels good? looks similar to the one mine comes with....i prefer the mk5 look better....

also where do you get that front shroud grip?

might transform the gun a bit

last question----how accurate are the sights?? on? 6" off? 24" off?

i just got a mac 11a1 and the sights are 24" high at 25 yards....im hoping the sten is a bit better....ive seen mountings for a red dot, but that would be a last resort

got the barrel pin out today...removed the shroud..i believe i have a NOS barrel on my gun...its absolutely flawless...paint is near 100% on the front half...looks like they painted it assembled onto the gun....light spray under the shroud, no spray where it attaches to the gun....bore 100% brand new looking...not even a mark on the feed ramp...kinda cool to get a time capsule for a parts kit....whole gun looks like it was unused...probably 90% paint remaining, very little to no rust

That's the one I used.

Question about suppressor needs a new thread maybe?

anyone shoot theirs suppressed? is a shorty/threaded barrel worth having?

this stock?

https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine-guns/sub-machine-guns/sten/sten-mark-5/sten-mk5-wood-buttstock-w-hardware.html

Barrels left the factory either Browned (A British finish similar to Blueing) or later Parked. The number one (if in line with the bore) was often used to indicate the top of the barrel. The barrel was fitted and then a number of rounds put through it to see where the MPI fell on target. They would then rotate the barrel in the gun until they found the best position. Then they would put a line or a 1 on the top of the bore axis so the barrel could be re-installed to the correct position.

now i know why it has a 1 on it...thanks..pretty cool

so maybe the barrel was part of a rebuilt....maybe a new barrel when they rebuilt it and never used it

thanks for the explanation...i need to buy a book for sure...educate myself on this stuff...