MAT49 9mm Submachine Gun

Need a lot more information

First off, is it registered and if so on what kind of form

Unregistered, it sadly will need to have the receiver cut and sold as a parts set.

even as a parts set MATs are not cheap

Transferable Amnesty gun ?

A few guys here would jump at it I'm sure

most 49's in the registry tend to be bring backs from the VietNam war. Does this one have the military capture paperwork ?

That will enhance value some

Any mags with it ?

It's been somewhat butchered

front sight assm is gone, looks like someone installed a M3 grease gun flash suppresor

Landies used to have some 49 bits, that all may be gone, they recently sold off a bunch of parts to APEX

Mags are tough, Buddy Hinton had been selling some maybe a year ago though

Is it live or deactivated ?

If it is Federally registered and fully transferable you can sell it outright to a NFA dealer like Rubin Mendiola or consign it to other dealers

or sell it to an individual with a C&R license, etc

Valuation ?

again need more data

bare minimum you should have one mag with it as they are rather obscure guns

No registration ?

Take a hack saw and cut it in two forward of the markings on the receiver tube, only the upper tube on the cut though.

That makes an easy build for a SOT and preserves more value

Alternatively there are certain museums that are allowed to take in unregistered machineguns that will grant you a tax credit. The Minnesota Military museum at Camp Ripley used to do this. If you have the income to make use of the credit it's often more money in the pocket than cutting things up.

if you have a form 4 for it ill bet you get offers here....if i had the $$ right now id have an offer for you if it is legit....seems like parts are very rare...so any work will be expensive...if its deactivated its a big project for someone

i hope its registered....neat to see possibly available

if you have a form 4 for it ill bet you get offers here....if i had the $$ right now id have an offer for you if it is legit....seems like parts are very rare...so any work will be expensive...if its deactivated its a big project for someone

MATs are great guns, I understand plenty remain in service with French police

Finding bits will be an object of love

very very few kits came in and most were deactivated prior to export

rumor was they like Hotchkiss Universals came out of Algeria and Morocco

who knows...

The ejection door and front sight are missing. Is that a hole drilled into the chamber? Parts do pop up now and then on GB. Live or Dewat, if it's registered in US, you have a nice MAT49 worth $$.

The ejection door and front sight are missing. Is that a hole drilled into the chamber? Parts do pop up now and then on GB. Live or Dewat, if it's registered in US, you have a nice MAT49 worth $$.

Hinton had new old stock port doors a year or two back for $30.00

front sight assm might be a bear to source unless Landies still has one in the tub somewhere in the warehouse

he really had been the only one with any bits for them. Those were left over from partial guns that couldn't be sold as kits from the batch he brought in back in the 90s

Those holes are peculiar to the 49'

They are gas relief vents

it's a French thing

look up any pic of MATs. they all have them

it's weird where parts for these actually pop up though.

I did a trade with a co-worker and he asked me about some funky smg mags he had that didn't fit any of his stuff. Sure enough , very nice Mat-49 mags which sandman scooped right up.

• 3 weeks later...

it is registered - my dad registered it in 1968 under Amnesty. It is still fully active.

is this gun here in the u.s. ?

yes it is in the US and it is registered

• 3 weeks later...

it is registered - my dad registered it in 1968 under Amnesty. It is still fully active.

>is this gun here in the u.s. ?

yes it is in the US and it is registered

Did your dad serve in Vietnam?

If so, search his papers for anything that might be related to this weapon - they're known as 'bring back papers', although it'd be equally likely to have come back in a dufflebag.