Tommy Gun at the Fair

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

I remember those at the Louisiana State Fair when i was a kid (late '60s).  If a sliver of red was left, no prize! :angry2:

#22 bradhe

bradhe

• Regular Group
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:48 PM

I have one these, great fun. Never thought it was reliable until I read the manual (duh) and learn d that they like to run at 120 psi. They come up for sale occasionally

#23 jl7422

jl7422

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:27 PM

Me too. Very reliable and built tough. Shoot it all afternoon for $3 worth of #2 chilled shot. . . hahaha!

#24 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:41 PM

Carnies that did the Minnesota State Fair had the old Tommies too....but....instead of a hundred BB's, they'd load the gun with that brass tube and it didn't look full.
The guy said there were a hundred in there and I could count them if I wanted to.
I pocketed a few and took them home.
Lead, #2 shot.
Spattered all over the place.....bet they had plenty of room to bounce on down the barrel!

#25 jl7422

jl7422

• Regular Group
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:56 PM

The standard brass loading tube (when full) = approx. 100.  Carnies load the tubes in volumn --there was a factory loader that filled the tubes in bulk.  

#26 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:04 PM

With BBs, the guns are actually fairly accurate. With smaller chilled shit, we'd shoot a group like a shotgun blast at 40 yards!

#27 2ndArmored

2ndArmored

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 382 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

When my family moved to Calif in the early 1960's, Disneyland had a shooting gallery with the same metal and water/splash targets you described in other amusement parks.  I think the rifles shot a .22 short.  Not surprisingly, I spent HOURS there. :D  Now it's all electronic.  But, yes, the same Disney Company whose "Toy Story" cowboy carries an empty holster (cuz guns R bad!) used to recognize the joy of plinking.

https://media-cdn.tr...and-shootin.jpg

https://4.bp.blogspo...dv+shooting.png

#28 wv1928

wv1928

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's and all other guns especially full auto's.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

My father use to tell me when I was a kid that it was next to impossible the cut the red completely out at the arcades..  He retired from the Navy as a Chief Gunners Mate. He said the only way it could be done was to shoot a circle around the star.  They would have six to eight different guns to shoot and only the shill and the the operator/owner knew which gun to use. He also said the the sights were adjusted so that a good many of the BB's would not go where you wanted them to go.  He also said that they would sometimes file the BB's so they would rattle in the barrel and being full auto the good BB would back up against the bad one and throw a whole burst off.  This was back in the 50/60"s in San Francisco when the Tommy Gun arcades ruled the boardwalk.   I know I sure wasted a lot of nickles and dimes trying to win just once.  If you looked at the card in the posted picture and read the small print.  It says all the Red Star must be removed to win.  They always seemed to fine the smallest speck of red somewhere.  :)  :)

#29 bob241

bob241

• Board Donor
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, lugers, 1966 Shelbys

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

If you cannot live without one of these, this one forsale on GB.

https://www.gunbroke.../item/819702359