July 22nd 2005

71 years ago yesterday, July 22nd 1934, John H. Dillinger died in a hail of gunfire from the FBI and the East Chicago, Indiana police at the Biograph theater in Chicago, Illinois.

It just came to mind.

although from what i recall, they did'nt have any thompsons in the "raiding party", and he was'nt a fan of the .45auto as it lacked power to penetrate the sheetmetal of cars.

so where's the thompson content? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Like I said, it just came to mind. But he was an "infamous" user of the Thompson submachine gun.

He didn't particularly like Fords either but....

It just came to mind. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

brian Posted on Jul 23 2005, 08:33 PM
so where's the thompson content?

http://www.dillingerthehiddentruth.freeservers.com/images/dillinger-nso1.jpg

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jul 24 2005, 07:47 AM)

http://www.dillingerthehiddentruth.freeservers.com/images/dillinger-nso1.jpg

This photo forever links the names Dillinger and Thompson.

This is such a great pic.

Does anyone know where I can get an actual photographic copy of it? It would look SO cool hanging on my den wall.

This photo was taken at the family farm in Mooresville Indiana. Big family reunion and he shows up. All the locals know it, but the sheriff didn't. I heard the photo was taken by his father. Other funny thing at the reunion was a reporter for the Indianapolis Star was at the deal waiting to get a glimps at John D. When a guy approched him and asked why he was hanging out at the gate to the drive, the reporter said he wanted to interview John Dillinger and heard he was going to be there. The guy said No, that was just a rumor. Reporter left not knowing he had just talked to the guy he was looking for.

There are a lot of copies of this picture on Ebay. But look at the photo to make sure it's a good copy. And the gun is in the correct hand. Kind of hard to tell but I think this is the way the photo should look. Thompson in his left hand. Ejection port looks right.

i think "deck the wall's" has the full poster size of it for sale..at least i had seen one there in tucson last year...

i still have one of his cast plaster "death mask's...one of the original casting's.a nice eerie collectable..

kinda funny i lived in the town that gunned him down,then moved year's later to the place that captured him..

i used to sell the pic's on my postcard list year's ago..maybe there might still be a few hanging around someplace...i know i sold about a thousand of them.along with a few hundred t-shirt's...on 'dillinger day's" in chicago. good time's... take care,ron

p.s i still have his picture of him sitting on a fence about nine..and his morgue photo's,sad in life and death!

You find any of those old photos Ron, or want to let that old dust mask go, you shoot me a email and let me know. Along with that AUT-ORD-CO letter head.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jul 24 2005, 05:46 PM)
You find any of those old photos Ron, or want to let that old dust mask go, you shoot me a email and let me know. Along with that AUT-ORD-CO letter head.

mike, if and when you get to s.a.r.this year.i will give you one of the letterhead's.the envelope's i got rid of year's ago..but you can have the letterhead..yep i had two j.d. d.m's.gave one to the guy who bought the "mason city" gun from me..he never really appreciated that sale from me...but i heard constantly brags about the gun...

i guess out of all the stuff i went through..i should have kept that....but thing's change...

anyway. i will put it aside for you since you asked...see ya in dec. take care,ron

P.S. mike i just went through a box of stuff and found some ole chicago typewriter letterhead's and mad dog press from bill helmer.i will bring some of those also..my gift!! the unique thing about them is the paper came from "playboy"called tuxedo style..{ heck i could probably get $10.00 a letterhead today!}but then that would be greed factor!

playboy did a story on the company and mentioned me year's ago...my hasbeen day's wink!! still have that issue laying around someplace..yep even hasbeen's have had their day wink!!

anyway's i will put them aside for you..

I can't top the stories of The Respected One, but in a related matter the old Biograph Theater was shut down, then bought by Victory Theater Company, and they are supposed to reopen this fall (live theater, not movies). I always wanted to have my picture taken in front of the joint with my MGC Thompson (of course calling the Chicago PD over on Belmont first!).

The other Dillinger gun is in a museum in Racine, Wisconsin...used to be in the PD lobby. Now you gotta pay $5 to see it. Oh yes, Thompson greed has even spread to Racine ! ! !

The other Ron...

wow! ron $5.00 just for a peek!!

i found the other day some pic's of bill helmer and myself in the alleyway circa: 1990,next to the biograph when he was gunned down....{dillinger}not bill...

it's been 15 year's. good time's

bill and me fast became friends that day...and that sent us on the "quotable capone book" just found a few copie's of those this week also..

yep racine a great place for thompson's...glad to hear they did not bury the biograph for a parking lot..

like they did other place's over the year's..hopefully when the old bunch die off...somebody will carry on... with history and not 'greed in their heart's'

the blue's brother's...

keep punching..

take care,ron

Like I said, it just came to mind. But he was an "infamous" user of the Thompson submachine gun.

He didn't particularly like Fords either but....

It just came to mind.

Didn't John Dillinger write a letter to Henry Ford saying he love the old V-8 Fords? Thought I read that some where-adlake

it was supposed to be:clyde barrow.i have a copy of it.as to authenticity who know's....just like my signed j.f.k.picture from the house of rep's from 1962...........never bothered to check how original.

i just come across stuff...some i keep, the rest i sell

however i know my "mafia princess"book signed is original...........since i gave her a copy of capone signed.

she responded in same...at a old chicago gangster's meeting.

yep alot of thing's are out there...you just have to weed out the b.s. and go with the rest!

sad thing is as the old gang kick's off many of the thing's go with them....

have fun.ron

Adlake,

Yes, Dillinger wrote that letter to Henry Ford praising his automobiles. Dillinger did this to "fluster" the law enforcement top brass. (and FBI). But it is written that though he wrote this letter, he really didn't like the Fords.

There is a book that has been out for over 40 yrs. The title is "The Dillinger days" by John Toland.

That is where I read about his dislike for Fords. I read it in the early '70's

Read this book, you'll enjoy it http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dave

Hey Guys,

Not everything that is written is 100% factual, sometimes it just sounds good. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Dave