Sten Mk2 Best Place to Grab a Parts Kit?

Nope!!!! Not messing with you!! Just hard to get threw to you so I give up.It really doesnt matter what anyone ever tells you cause your mind is already made up before you even post your topic! You need to be more patient, open minded and willing to make changes!! Good luck buddy.

m3bobby....i can see what your talking about.....the tube is short....odd

its a Stemple and it runs...thats all i know....those are the 2 things i bought it based on

Komodoj---maybe its just you i ignore and know better as you mess with my head for fun

sounds like its going to be Efiled so i may have it next week to take some better pics of

link to the original ad on sturm(i did not pay full price)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10921-wts-transferable-sten-mkii-7100/

Hal your not adding to the conversation, your just poking me, then poking me again

let it go bro

Edited by huggytree

Local gunsmith friend said its a shorty sten and it will just run fast. He has seen them before. Still trying to figure out if all stemple stens were like this or it was an option.

I posted on the stemple Facebook page

your gunsmith friend may be "short a few fries from the happy meal"? I've never heard of a short sten? I've seen short tubes (junk but registered), but they've been fixed, and of course the different marks have some changes in trigger position, but that's it. The gun has many "issues", should be fun to watch.

we will see....its being efiled, so ill have it for testing in a couple of weeks...ive got 2 video's of it running, so whatever's wrong with it it will at least run....how well? that we will see

if it runs ill keep it...if it has issues ill resell it..leave it as a form 3 at my dealer

i would assume the sear had to be moved back to operate correctly...so ill take some pics to share when i test fire it

the seller looked down the tube...it has no welds inside, so it wasnt cut down and rewelded..the tube was made this way...so its how stemple made the gun...i trust him enough..he wasnt a A grade gunsmith maybe, but he might have been a B+ one

johnson 41 - id be curious of all the issues you can see?

(not mine---just an odd example i saw)....some call them sten compacts

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz29/trickyrick_01/100_5622.jpg

Edited by huggytree

your commenting on the pistol right?

thats just a goofy pic i found..not my gun

i think its an original sten pistol grip though....Stoner copied it in 1960 for his AR15

Edited by huggytree

Yes the pistol, I can tell its not the same as your gun. The pistol grip is not STEN, the only official pistol grips used on STENs were the formed steel bar and wooden type of the Mk5. Occasionally you see contemporary photos of a Thompson pistol grip adapter to a STEN butt plate.

been communicating with brian polling about the sten since he knew stemple....

here's what he said today to me:

I spoke with some guys about John’s Stens and apparently he made and registered a lot of them. He was also known to do them in standard and short patterns like the one you have.

Please don’t hesitate to call or write if I can be of further assistance.

Brian Poling
BRP CORP
Brian Poling

issues I see are the markings are on the trigger housing.....that was not kosher when he did them. It may also be on the tube (where it's supposed to be) but positioned incorrectly for an actual build. It may also be an "STG" of which were really scrap registered tubes that had dimensional issues and until values rose, they were effectively worthless by comparison to everyone else's aftermarket tubes. Looks like the tube already had an addadicktome to the rear of the tube by the look of welding in the pictures? Could just be the pictures? Again, there are no "short" stens and that would not be the best way to increase the rate of fire, but it is the easy way if one had hundreds of tubes that were cut short and no desire to gunsmith them back to correct sten specs. Some of the older guys a generation ahead of me remember all the stemple stories, but the long and short of it is that a lot of guys referred to as "gunsmiths" really were not, but they did manage to register tons of stuff before the cutoff which was a great benefit to us now. Economics of the hobby has made it feasible to fix this stuff and often make it better than the original design today.

Effectively you bought another turd, but it likely runs as a shooter and is fixable, so all hope is not lost. :)

Edited by johnsonlmg41

i dont understand the markings on the trigger housing? can you define it further?

i know Stemple was not an A grade gunsmith....he was more of a B grade tinkerer

ill post pics with measurements and comparisons to parts from my parts kit when it comes in...hopefully in 1-2 more weeks....im guessing the efile will go through this next week.

i will have the back of the tube looked at!...its been referenced here and i want it to be safe

Thanks for the info!

I see a lot of issues as Mg41 sees. Just hard to type so much from an iPhone. I cant say honestly that you got a great deal on this Stemple deal as you say imho. I see them sell in the 6k-7k range so your deal I feel is fair? Now if it was a DLO, Taylor or Even a Catco I would say at $6400 that was a good buy but a Stemple Sten at like $5600 would be a great score!! Stens are tricky. You have to really do your homework before you buy one. I bought a Sten many years ago that looked amazing in the pics and ran great only to have it completely taken apart and rebuilt which cost me almost $800! So your great deal( You think/thought) might turn into a $8k gun when your done. I/we are not picking on you or poking the bear. Sten Parts are cheap so no matter what parts are added on to sweeten the deal if its a turd its a turd!!! We are just trying to help you. Sometimes bragging so much about a deal before you have it in hand will actually hurt you more in the long run imho. Maybe we are wrong and your gun is perfect. Time will tell when u get it. Love ya my friend!!

On any tube gun of that period, the tube was the registered part, not the trigger housing, so that is where the tube is supposed to be marked (and still may be) with the mfr's info and ser #. Some builders put that info in a bad spot on the tube and it became obscured during a build which is a problem today. Some sten tubes are marked in spots where the markings would be destroyed by doing a stenling or other build, so those hold a lower value in the marketplace. Not all tubes are/ were created equal.

Pricing is tricky. I have two more inbound in a week or two I paid 5K for and I did not think that was that great of deal at the time, but it's been a while. The first one I paid 2200 for I thought I got hosed and another well over 20K and I thought I got a screaming deal on, so it just depends? People tend to split nickels on commodity items like stens, including me, but if it's rare. thousands or tens of thousands more is no big deal.....crazy hobby!

got my parts kit today....spent time dissembling it all and cleaning/oiling it up...learning how it goes together...i believe my kit is like new...the barrel looks flawless inside..trying to get that pin out of the barrel so i can remove the shroud....not easy!!

going to baggie it all up and oil the heck out of it....heavier than i expected.....

more complicated than a Mac, but not too bad!....all interesting to me...learning

a forum member looked at my gun this week at the gun shop....he has or has shot a sten...got a good review on its appearance from him...might have an approval this upcoming week

• 2 weeks later...

With all of these different prices.....factoring in availability......what would be average-prices (or price-ranges) for:

1: C&R Sten MK-II

2: Sten MK-II registered "Tube"

3: Sten MK-II registered "Tube-Gun"

4: Sten MK-II complete "Parts-Kit" with one-magazine.

Note: I've left off the other MK-Series, the WWII German manufactured copies, all "Dealer-Sales-Samples"......

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

Edited by Blanksguy

mk2 tube guns seem to be $5500-7500

parts kit w/ original barrel i know is $325 shipped...i have yet to see another

C&R right now is asking $10k right now...but its not selling

i only bought mine because it was cheap....i would never pay $10k for a C&R sten....ruben has a mk2 for $11-12k i think...your in Sterling territory now.....$6k is a good sweet spot for a fun sten shooter...thats the only reason i bought mine

Edited by huggytree

a $7500 dlo tube gun is marked sold today....no idea what the sell price is, but it was on the market for 1-2 weeks...dlo tube guns seem to sell for $7k on a steady basis

Edited by huggytree

• 1 month later...