Drum Value Question

Guys I need some straight answers as to what a NY NY marked L drum with a nickled follower is worth. Any help will be apreciated. If the trade comes off, this drum will be comming up for sale/trade on this board.

Sorry, here is the best info I can get right now. On the data plates front and rear there are no strengthening ribs pressed in to the metal, they are essentialy flat except for the ridges that engage the receiver. It has two 1920 (or 1920's, he was not clear) patten dates. It is marked wind to 11 clicks(?).

Not being a drum god I am not really sure what to ask or what to look for, but this is all I have so far.

Hawksnest thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks

Chris

I can't believe that anyone would pay $800 for a 50 shot drum when you can get two, new 30 round stick mags for $60 bucks. I know, I know, drums are "cool" but for gosh sake, the only reason that these things are going for so much is because there are people crazy enough to buy them. Personally I think a buck a shot is about all that any feeding device is worth so a $50 for a 50 round drum would be more like what their worth. I gues to each his own, I'll stick with my 30 round stick mags, they're lighter, don't make the noise that a drum makes and WAY CHEAPER. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

The difference is between a collector and a shooter. If you just want something to shoot - get a cap fireing toy and then you can stay inside, warm and have a lot of fun. Or you can step up an purchase a 27 Kahr and pretend you have a Thompson.

If you are a collector as well as a shooter you will pay more for the hobby and purchase a 28 or if possible a 1921.

If you are in the first group you can put your cap fireing toy in a paper grocery sack to take to the back yard to shoot - or the second type you could spend $2,000 - 2,500 for an original hard case.

This board has people of all interests from cap fireing to collectors of early Thompsons and each have their place here.

In my case I would run not walk to the person who will sell the early drum for $800.00

WOW! Now I feel bad. NOT!

I've got 7 drums. Oh and 40 XXX mags and about 20 xx mags. The most I gave for one of my drums was $800 for my WH "C" drum. If you have a gun that takes the drum, you have got to have a drum. It just don't get no better then that.

See what I mean.

50 rounds drum dump video

Collecting Drums can be very very dangerous! It can be very addictive,

Once you start, it is hard to stop. I have met Mike and I can see all the tell tale signs! big black round pupils with wind to 11 clicks in them, teeth that click like the winding key and he is not even "L" years old yet!.

I have 11 drums and am nearly bankrupt. especially when mike kept finding me more at the SAR show last winter.

Seriously though. Drum collecting is a sub culture all of it's own. Read Doug Richardson's 120 page book on drums and you are hooked.

It is all to do with the difference between collecting Thompsons and Shooting them, but a nicely Mearle adjusted and greased 100 West Hurly will give you just as big as buzz as a matching numbered Colt drum when you pull the trigger.

By the way Mike, great vidio clip, I have just about worn your barrel out playing it over and over.

On prices, some thought I was crazy paying more than $800 for a mismatched 1928 colt /Bridgeport drum I got from G&G at Prescott but!! at home in New Zealand I new I had the same mismatched drum in the opposite sides. I got two great matched drums as the result.

kind regards

This video is actually better then the other. It don't get no better then this...... well unless it's a "C" drum. One of these days I'll send mine to Merle.

Now if this video doesn't give you a smile, then you need to sell your gun!

50 Rounds of Pure Joy

That one that sold on gunbroker is not exactly "a drum like the one mentioned here."

Even with the dent, it was an early drum. Much more pricy than L drums that that are not mil spec. You get what you pay for. (I know 2K is way too much for a drum like this, but you have to figure the collectability issue I guess). Strange thing in this auction, the buyer was a NR bidder. I have never liked bidding against a NR bidder.

Jr

I guess what I'm trying to say it that for me, my '27a1 is a "tool" first and a "collectors item" second. I paid $650 for it plus I'll have about another $400 into parts to "fix it up" the way that I want it to be. On my budget I just couldn't see spending more for a mag(drum or other wise) then I spent for the gun. It'd be like building a $20K garage to house a $500 dollar car, it just wouldn't make any sence. I guess if you've got $15,000 into a full auto Thompson then spending $800 for a drum would be ok. I guess it all depends on what you want out of your Thompson and wether you're a collector or a shooter. Also, Budget comes into play as well. I had to scrap together the $650 for the '27, no way could I ever come up with more then that for a drum mag. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

You can look at it like this, too. If you buy a $5, 000 car, you drive it every day. If you buy Gary Cooper's Dusenberg (one of two made) you don't drive it daily, but you still gotta drive it now & then. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I bought an Worcester L drum last year on Gun Broker. I'm pleased with it (no dents) there is a small amount of pitting around the feed area, that I feel was from the use of corrosive primers in the early days.

Yes, the drum did cost more than the 27 that it mounts under, but I consider it as part of my growing collection of Thompson related items. I also invested in an X drum, and a handful of XX and XXX magazines.

If by some stroke of luck the ban would sunset, I'll jump on a AO/Kahr L drum as well.

I saw AO L drums at a show that appeared very clean being offered at $750 each.

IMHO, I feel the one sold this time was way over priced. Unless of course it had a proven documented history with it.

Looking at the companies on-line that offer Thompson parts it is obvious that they are getting more difficult to acquire.

It also could be a great marketing plan to keep the prices climbing by allowing very small quantities out at a time.. I've seen this frequently in the reptile business, but that's a whole different board... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

That one that sold on gunbroker is not exactly "a drum like the one mentioned here."

I never said it was exactly like the one mentioned here.. but it is very similar, yes?? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

NY NY stamped, not sure about the nickled follower, no ribs in the metal, has two dates...1920...11 clicks....Sounds like the one mentioned to me....

what a NY NY marked L drum with a nickled follower is worth

http://www.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2004-03-28/lock_stock_1081036483_tomdrumstampbc.jpg

On the data plates front and rear there are no strengthening ribs pressed in to the metal, they are essentialy flat except for the ridges that engage the receiver. It has two 1920 (or 1920's, he was not clear) patten dates. It is marked wind to 11 clicks(?).

http://www.gunbroker.com/pixhost/2004-03-28/lock_stock_1081036482_tomdrumstampft.jpg

Hawkeye_Joe: I believe the drum shown in your photos is a Second Model of the Standard New York address "L" drum manufactured by Worcester Press Stamping Co., Worcester, Mass. The drum in the gunbroker advertisement also appears to be a second model Worcester.

That Drum is a 1928 Colt.

I have one identical. The clue is the "C" of the cal on cover side.

On the Colt Drum, the "C" lies between the C & H in machine gun on the line above, while on the Worchester drum, the "C" lies directly under the H on the line above. That is the only known difference.

Regards

Murray. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Murray,

Right you are! The other difference is the comma after the N. Y., U.S.A. The Worcester drums that I have seen are missing the comma after N.Y. U.S.A. The drum that sold on Gunbroker is a very collectible drum.

I bought a drum just like the one described by Murry & gijive. The seller sold it to me as a Colt 3rd generation. About the time I bought it (mid July, 2003) there was a detailed thread about drums on this board which I used to verify my drums type. Bruce V

Guys,

I should admit that I attended "Drum School 2003" at the SAR show with the teachers being Doug Richardson, Gordon Herigstad and Mearle Bitikofer and I was the only pupil!!.

Mike was supposed to attend to, but there were too many distractions so he "wagged" (skipped) most of the classes.

Regards.

Murry,

I think it's the other way around. The "C" on the Colt drum is below the "H" and the "C" splits the "C" and "H" on the Worcester drum. The Second model of the Worcester drum also has the comma between the N.Y., U.S.A. Look at page 331 and 333 of Tracie Hill's book. Also, the Worcester drum is both riveted and spot welded to the drum bodies.

I think hawksnest called it correctly,

take care,

Murray,

Thanks a bunch for clearng up the Colt - Worchester drum identification. After reading your description I just had to get my "3rd generation Worchester" drum out of my 1927A1 FBI case and give it a good looking over. Well, guess what? My "C" in cal in between the C and H in the above line and I have a "N.Y. , USA" on the back to boot!!!! It has a nickle rotor in it. Mine is slightly defaced and probably not worth as much as it should be as I had Oscar Payne's son Stephen autograph the rotor and the inside of the lid (cover) when he was in Kansas City for the NRA show back 2001. Anyway, I guess it went up in value from a 3rd Worchester to a 1928 COLT!!!! How much did I make tonite????

I passed my 8 hours of training for a conceal carry permit here in Missouri on 18 April. I plan on visiting the sheriff's office on 26 April and applying for the permit. I think it will take up to 45 days to get back to me. The sheriff here in Cass County is a real 2nd Amendment proponent!! It was a real hoot here in Missouri, as the Republican led State House and Senate over turned our "loser" democrat govenor's conceal-carry veto about 2-3 months ago. You all might remember it, as they flew a State senator home from Cuba to cast what was the deciding vote in the Missouri senate. He was on reserve duty at the time (Army)!!!! The anti-gunners had a real pissin' match over that one!! Many of the counties have put a "hold" on issuing conceal carry due to a "funding issue" that was not "properly addressed" by the state legislature. Another antigunner attempt at denying our rights. But I guess the local sheriff said, Bring it On!! He's signing the forms !!!!! Conceal - carry may be kinda like owning a full auto tommy (which I don't presently). So politically incorrect, yet so satisfying!!!

Mario Scarpino

Chip,

You are really making a hash of this long ago settled issue. The Colt drums have the "C" in Cal between the "C" & "H" in Submachine gun and the comma after N.Y. The Worcesters do not. And the Colt drums have faint spot welds too. Quit looking at xerox images and look at an actual Colt drum for indisputable info.