MachineGunBoards.com 2020 Virtual Thompson Show - FUN Challenge

Why are many of the early S-1928s two tone finish ? I figured it was cause the upper sits proud of the lower. So the upper gets more worn from being wiped down?

15651 looks close in color to mine. What # did colt end at? 15200 ? 15500?

Why are many of the early S-1928s two tone finish ? I figured it was cause the upper sits proud of the lower. So the upper gets more worn from being wiped down?

15,040. The first Savage is thought to be 15041. No idea on the dissimilar finish.

M1928 that is purportedly the lowest serial number "commercial" Savage Thompson recorded thus far. It originally came with a vertical foregrip with a sling swivel attached to the side as found on some British Thompsons. I replaced it with a standard horizontal type. The only non-standard markings are the indecipherable markings on the attached photo. They don't appear to be standard Brit proofs.

Bruce,

Does the serial number on the lower, match that on the receiver? The lack of the checkering on the fire selector and safety switches indicates it was manufactured later than a 15000 serial number 1928. or the switches have been replaced in service.

M1928 that is purportedly the lowest serial number "commercial" Savage Thompson recorded thus far. It originally came with a vertical foregrip with a sling swivel attached to the side as found on some British Thompsons. I replaced it with a standard horizontal type. The only non-standard markings are the indecipherable markings on the attached photo. They don't appear to be standard Brit proofs.

Bruce,

Does the serial number on the lower, match that on the receiver? The lack of the checkering on the fire selector and safety switches indicates it was manufactured later than a 15000 serial number 1928. or the switches have been replaced in service.

Yes, the lower serial number matches the receiver. The selector and safety would have been swapped out before I got the gun (I've had it over 30 years)

Hi Bruce,

The markings on your Savage 1928 appear to be a British Broad Arrow on the top, and perhaps "40" for "1940" on the bottom. The two middle marks may be some kind of unordinary acceptance marks.

TD.,

We need your input here...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

Bruce,

Looking at page 72 of Frank's American Thunder III book, your marking is similar. It's a broad arrow, followed by a crown marking, followed by the inspector and place of inspection, followed by "40." In the book example, the inspector is H1, and the place of inspection was E for Enfield, but yours appears different.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

David,

Bruce has been gracious in supplying me pictures of his S-15651 over the years. S-15651 was until recently the lowest known 15,000 production Thompson submachine gun. That has changed. A much lower Savage Arms serial number has been found and will be featured in my upcoming book next year. Those that attended the Thompson Collector's Association Show & Shoot were treated to a PowerPoint presentation detailing some of the newly discovered information on this very early Savage gun. Suffice to say, there are only four known Savage Thompsons in the 15,000 serial number range along with one frame on a mismatch early Savage Thompson. Unfortunately, none of the four are in original condition, including S-15651. rpbcps was very observant in noticing the fire control levers on S-15651 are not the correct early knurled Savage levers. While not pictured, the magazine catch has a hole on the thumbpiece and is also not correct.

I included a picture of the British proof markings on S-15651 in Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story - see the top of page 116, far left picture. I did not go into detail about the various British markings pictured other than the Broad Arrow mark denoting government ownership. I will say S-15651 is the only British marked Thompson I recall with the proof markings on the left side of the receiver (as opposed to the right side receiver nose). I will let others on the forum much more knowledgeable than me decipher the British markings. Perhaps, Mk VII will chime in.

I feel certain S-15651 was one of the first 750 Thompson submachine machine guns purchased by the British Ministry of Defense (MoD) in early 1940 and shipped to Great Britain in five shipments, the last on May 27, 1940. We know all 750 guns arrived safely. I would guess (just a guess) all 750 were put to immediate use and most lived a very hard life. This may explain the low survival rate for the 15,000 guns with none in original condition. Bruce requested a Freedom of Information Act on S-15651 years ago but has moved and cannot locate the packet. The FOIA packet would show when and how it was born on the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

Thanks for sharing Bruce!

All good stuff!

Not 100% Thompson related, but one of my favorite subjects during World War II is the Scout-Snipers in the Marine Corps.

per Scout-Sniper Stan Deka:

"We operated in three-man teams, one man with the Springfield, one with an M1, and one with a Thompson submachine gun. The ’03 had the scope. The other men furnished protection for the man with the scope. The use of three-man sniper teams had evolved from the lessons learned during the early stages of jungle warfare… The man who was to function as the sniper would select a suitable position. The second man, acting as an observer, would search the area for targets and the third member of the team placed himself in a position to act as security. Two-man teams had been tried, but it was found that the man not firing could not observe and provide security at the same time." "...You could really mess up a coconut tree with a top-cocker"

g4rQKfl.jpg

• Upvote 3

2ndArmored,

I am impressed. I have a stock certificate from Maguire Industries, Inc. I have never seen a stock certificate from the Auto-Ordnance Corporation. Please tell where you found that piece of history.

Thank you for sharing!

2ndArmored,

I am impressed. I have a stock certificate from Maguire Industries, Inc. I have never seen a stock certificate from the Auto-Ordnance Corporation. Please tell where you found that piece of history.

Thank you for sharing!

The Long Beach Numismatic and Philatelic Exposition is probably the biggest coin & stamp show west of the Rockies. Around since 1964, it has expanded to include trading cards, sports memorabilia, stocks & bonds, etc. I got it there about a decade ago.

• Upvote 1

I have an M1928A1, serial 339 range. It has almost all of its original finish. The receiver is a distinct very dark plum color. Everything else is blued or bright, in the case of the bolt.

Edited by TSMGguy

"...You could really mess up a coconut tree with a top-cocker"

g4rQKfl.jpg

My dad was a WWII ETO combat engineer with five campaign stars. When I showed him my recently acquired M1928A1 TSMG in the mid 1990s, he referred to it as "an old top cocker" also. His unit was not equipped with Thompsons, but he had seen a demo of them in training. An NCO had fired one full auto with the gun held at arms length like a pistol, and then with the butt in his belly and groin to show how mild the recoil was.

• Upvote 1

I set this educational table up at last weeks gun show with some help from Sandman57

That is a nice dispaly and two Lange-Pistols 08's? A man after my own heart, Lugers being my other passion.

LP08 Holster Rig 2.JPG

P04 Holster Rig 4.JPG

Finnish M23 Holster Open.JPG