Looking for tips on buying first Reising

$6500-8500 gets a Ingram M6 which is a very unique subgun, much more fun and interesting

$8500 can get you an older BRP which will shoot in the same hole and use suomi drums,coffins,mags

$9000-9500 can get you a real S&W 76 (i got mine for 9500 and a friend just grabbed one for $9 w/ a suppressed barrel)

Mac 10/45 $6500 gives you 5+ uppers to choose from and will change the gun into 9mm,45 and .223

endless good guns in the $6-8500 price range

but if you like the reising it is kinda cool for what it is. You just have to accept all of its history and how it got no love for a reason

I agree Huggy!

I just realized after reading through this post again that the OP is only interested in a WWII subgun, so my thoughts on a MAC are for anyone else who may be considering a first time subgun.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I don't think the Reising's were parkerized from the factory originally. One of the complaints was they rusted in the Pacific theater. What you should be looking for is the proper acceptance stamps. Not sure there is a record of serial number ranges for the military contract Dalbert my have that in his files.

reisings came parkerized for sure...mine is original finish and park, but its different than a normal parkerizing....typical parkerizing is a rough finish, my reising is more of a polished/smooth finish yet grey, not blued

since US military guns is your focus Ill go back to recommending just find a very clean gun with a warranty. you will be fine

(you could also collect ww2 subguns from other countries?- Beretta 38/42 can be had at $7500-9500)

No Huggy I didn't buy it. The seller sent me pics. It is nice and priced good but not what I am looking for. I have been actively searching now and there are quite a few for sale. I found a few that had I'd been it the market for one at the time, I would of jumped on. Like this one for $6500 with the hard case although the case doesn't really matter to me. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mrlHGMLlvWicS08ZhXsT9CZ75RbKrs04 ( this is exactly what I am looking for)

I want a late manufactured one preferably 1943 within the serial # range of 73601-114317 and have some if not all the following features: Parkerized finish, 14 finned P proofed barrel, 3 hole trigger guard, sling swivels located on the underside of the forend and stock(reinforced) along with finger grooves and the large knurled quick disassembly screw

I have emailed a few sellers with ones for sale for better pictures and will post them for a much appreciated critique.

Rubin has this M50 for sale and it nice but like some of his guns its been refinished. He is not far from me so I may go take a look at his inventory.
https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/1154/reising-m50-military/

I am not in a huge rush and will take my time to find the right one.

Edited by Thompsonlover

I bought the gun you want 6 months ago

Late military / original finish - 98% condition

There are so many for sale at one time. You should find what you want it 2-3 months of searching

The park finish on these is really unique. I was open to police or military. Police is a bit more tacticool and case hardened parts are cool too. But having a military history is cooler to me now that I own one

Id recommend keeping $6500 as a max. Only if mint. Too many selling at $5000-5500 to over spend

Some of the larger/expensive dealers Ive found to be no better or in many cases worse than just grabbing one for cheap off sturm. My best guns have been from small dealers and individuals. My problem guns have all been from larger dealers. They often dont test or even inspect the guns. When issues are found they offer refunds but not repairs. Ive had good luck with Midwest tactical this past year but others I know have not. They are the only large dealer I buy from now

Edited by huggytree

Thanks Huggy. I'd like to buy one at that price range. I have not seen any in the $5000-5500 price range. One mint one the dealer is asking $7900.

I'm sure I'll find a nice one.

The one that just sold was under $5,000 after you deduct the extras.

Midwest tactical had a bunch at $5500 last year when I bought mine. They were blah condition though

I havent been in the market since then. I see Ruben is still at $6500 so I assume the normal market price is still $5500

Edited by huggytree

Looking at this one. Its still available. Listed in May last update was June 30th

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13997-hr-reising-m50-45-acp-cr/

I see one of the trigger guard screws is not original and I guess the second stock is extra? Pretty much everything I am looking for except I don't see sling swivels. I was advised by the seller the swivel holes have been filled in. That sounds like an easy fix if original ones can be found.

Edited by Thompsonlover

Mine is as nice. $6500 from Ruben. Dont pay $7,900. $6500 is over priced enough

Sit back and wait. Offer $6,000 on it?

$7900 is insane. There is no shortage of reisings. New ones almost weekly

Wait and watch. You will find just as nice for a normal price. The market is blah. Dont pay extra. Wait for a bargain.

Edited by huggytree

Dave I'm in no rush and will wait for the right one. I would not pay $7900 for a Reising. There is a dealer selling a few for $10800 can you believe that?

I do like the one I provided a link to. It checks off all the boxes. The sling swivel holes have been filled in but thats an easy fix and there are still swivels available. He is asking $6850 and no sale since May.

I found the thread on your Reising and its a nice one.

Edited by Thompsonlover

Rubin has 8 for sale including this one: https://dealernfa.com/shop/cr-reising-m50-45-acp-105894/

He said he didn't refinish it and believes it original park finish. Opinions please.

This one checks off all the boxes except the barrel. I really want a 14 finned one.

He doesn't know much about guns. It is however true he did not refinish it, but someone certainly did and he is not knowledgeable enough to know it?

this one is original finish (though heavily oiled) and unfortunately a premay supposedly? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822441869

One will show up if you beat the bushes hard enough. HTH

military park is more grey and shiny/smooth...it would show some age in the corners here and there...the finish on rubens gun is too clean and not the right color

i would sit back and wait a month or 2. If your gonna buy a 28 rib model you passed up a $5k one 2 weeks ago. why pay $6500 to ruben?

a beauty queen will show up shortly that meets your want list. within 2-3 months for sure if not 2-3 weeks

Edited by huggytree

military park is more grey and shiny/smooth...it would show some age in the corners here and there...the finish on rubens gun is too clean and not the right color

i would sit back and wait a month or 2. If your gonna buy a 28 rib model you passed up a $5k one 2 weeks ago. why pay $6500 to ruben?

a beauty queen will show up shortly that meets your want list. within 2-3 months for sure if not 2-3 weeks

Dave I thought the gun looked refinished. You would think a gun with that later serial number would have a 14 finned barrel? Maybe someone changed it or from what I have read, the factory used an earlier production barrel. I just looking and seeking advice I do not want a blued version and for that reason I passed on the other gun. There are 24 for sale right now and most all are blued.

he has 8 of them for sale...he is a large dealer who buys in bulk...I think he could have anything...refinished/ replaced stock, replaced barrel, refinished to look brand new...some people/ many people prefer their 1944 guns to look brand new...I get the idea you want original everything...its not going to look new..mine is pretty darn close, but I got lucky and paid over market by $1k....most of the original Reisings look beat up..late war ones seem to often be in nicer shape.

Mine- grey, but smooth..not the typical textured park(I think it look in between park and blued). Finish is clean, but shows age (not too clean). Notice the serial #'s have halos around them. the stamping is very deep. Might be a good spot to look at when deciding if a gun has original finish. My gun barely looks fired when you dissemble and look at the parts. I think the wood on mine could be refinished(not sure)

You will find an awesome gun too..100% chance

GURTSkv.jpg

WFf4Dl0.jpg

k7Grcys.jpg

E6Hi8xd.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Dave thanks for posting the pictures. I now have a better idea of what original parkerizing looks like on a Reising. I think I found a nice one and I'm waiting on better pictures.

That one has an "L" prefix on the S/N. Doesn't the letter prefix denote a Numrich gun?

Reising Dates of Production

1941 Serial Numbers 101-8500

1942 Serial Numbers 8501-73600

1943 Serial Numbers 73601-114317

Reising book page 79

1950 Serial Numbers K101 to K973

1951 Serial Numbers L101 to L3589

1952 No production

1953 Serial Numbers N111 to N327

1954-1956 No production

1957 Serial Numbers S4700 to S5607

Marine Contracts:

NOm 33387 2 February 1942: 2,000 each Model 55 Reising submachine guns.

NOm 33660 26 February 1942: 11,500 Model 55, and 11,500 Model 50 Reising submachine guns.

NOm 36828 13 July 1942: 20,000 Model 55, and 5000 Model 50 Reising submachine guns.

NOm 37893 13 October 1942: 30,000 Model 50 Reising submachine guns (plus a 3,000 overrun).

Despite numerous attempts to get the earlier serial number ranges, they refused to give them to me. Later after the book was published, a police chief requested them for me and ATF FAXed him the info that day!

BTW the Reising book is nearly sold out, there are no plans to reprint it. The book was written in 2000, since that time the publisher has upgraded from inexpensive "gun show" books to hardback w/color photos. I would love to update the Reising book in hardback w/color photos, but no one is interested in publishing it.

• Upvote 1