FYI M2 registered Kit for sale

To be ok , the serial number needs to be on one of the kit's parts , not the trigger housing . There looks to be something on the rocker lever , so this one may be ok.

Chris

Chris,

If the ATF approved the trigger housing at some point in time why is it not OK today??

And the argument that the housing is not one of the FA parts, wouldn't that not also apply to the receiver??

And if the serial number appeared on more than one part would that not be creating another MG??

Jim C

Edited by jim c 351
  • Upvote 1

Both good points ! I thought likewise about the Th being marked but then saw what I think to be writing on the disconector lever. But didn't they also require the maker of the kit to engrave their name and address as well. If the TH and the lever are both marked, how do they view this. I wasn't in the game when this was going down did the atf ask what part was to be marked ?

Chris

Hi , Jim.

BATF never approved the trigger housing stamping . The maker / seller did it because he thought there was a better idea because the trigger housing is bigger / stronger than the kit's parts and IS needed for the kit to work , so what could be a problem ? Well , the rules are the rules , so the kits need to be stamped correctly .

You are correct that on a kit converted gun , the receiver's number is not a matter . The kit can be moved from gun to gun.

The serial number on ONE kit part is required . People usually do the rocker , but you may see the hammer done and I'd guess the selector would work , too . Like the receiver's number , having the serial number on the trigger housing or the M2 slide or M2 bolt or all of them means nothing in the eyes of BATF as they are not kit components . Having the serial number on TWO or more KIT components is , of course , a no-no . It would be like having an M16 with a spare FA receiver with a duplicated serial number . You would , in BATF's eyes , have two guns , even if you only had one upper.

People did a lot of outright illegal stuff to avoid the $200 tax involving carbines and the feds had to come up with a patchwork of rules to stop them . Carbines and kits are one of the most confusing messes out there.

Chris

Hi , Jim.

BATF never approved the trigger housing stamping . The maker / seller did it because he thought there was a better idea because the trigger housing is bigger / stronger than the kit's parts and IS needed for the kit to work , so what could be a problem ? Well , the rules are the rules , so the kits need to be stamped correctly .

You are correct that on a kit converted gun , the receiver's number is not a matter . The kit can be moved from gun to gun.

The serial number on ONE kit part is required . People usually do the rocker , but you may see the hammer done and I'd guess the selector would work , too . Like the receiver's number , having the serial number on the trigger housing or the M2 slide or M2 bolt or all of them means nothing in the eyes of BATF as they are not kit components . Having the serial number on TWO or more KIT components is , of course , a no-no . It would be like having an M16 with a spare FA receiver with a duplicated serial number . You would , in BATF's eyes , have two guns , even if you only had one upper.

People did a lot of outright illegal stuff to avoid the $200 tax involving carbines and the feds had to come up with a patchwork of rules to stop them . Carbines and kits are one of the most confusing messes out there.

Chris

Chris when people or Aromory's registered a kit with the atf, were they required to mark somewhere who the MFG was { jim smith or @#^%$ Armory }. Like today when you do an SBR your required to engrave who made the change. Hope I make sence. Chris

That is one kit question I can't answer . I think they were , that would be reasonable , but the ability to put that on a small part in that time period may have caused them to not require it . My M2 is a regestered reciever gun.

Chris

That is one kit question I can't answer . I think they were , that would be reasonable , but the ability to put that on a small part in that time period may have caused them to not require it . My M2 is a regestered reciever gun.

Chris

Mine is a kit, the lever is the numbered part. The aromory's name and city/state is on the TH. I'm wondering if the 2 need to stay together,to be compliant. Chris

• 3 weeks later...