Removing Cosmoline from Stock, Grip, Guard

There are many ways to skin that cat. I like to put everything in the oven set at 200 on a tray lined with aluminum foil. Leave the oven door cracked open. Wipe ithe wood down every 20 minutes or so until cosomoline stops weeping out.

Edited by timkel

If you live where there is good sunshine [not Ohio] put every thing in a dark plastic bag and seal it. Lay it on a table outside in the sun. Occasionally remove parts and wipe down until cosmoline is gone. Takes a little longer but keeps the smell out of the house.

• Upvote 1

with my M1 Garand i tried all sorts of ways..used a hair dryer to boil the oil out....i finally gave up....used a degreaser w/ water in the sink....it worked great....then i just refinished it...alcohol stains and tung oil...looks exactly the same as before i started...i got the same tone to the wood...

with my thompson i decided to do modern...i used matte poly urethane and got a 100% match to another piece of wood redone by deerslayer in an old school way....

you dont have to use old school tung oil methods to get the same sheen and color....modern matte poly and modern stains can match perfectly and give you much more protection.....if i put my refinished stock next to deer slayers you could not tell which was which it turned out so well.......ive got experience refinishing antique furniture for years...i know how to tweak colors to make different wood match

There is this spray stuff you can get at the Walmart called Crudcutter it wont damage the wood and it works fantastic, I have used it many times over, just spray it on ans let it drip off , when whip the rest off after a few minutes. I have used it on AK stock set that we refinish/restore.

There is this spray stuff you can get at the Walmart called Crudcutter it wont damage the wood and it works fantastic, I have used it many times over, just spray it on ans let it drip off , when whip the rest off after a few minutes. I have used it on AK stock set that we refinish/restore.

I've used that product, also. I had good results. Here's a video. I went to Menards-Home Depot and got a mortar tub like this to use. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=krudkutter+wash+cosmoline+&&view=detail&mid=4F3A0476CC39DA51B9DE4F3A0476CC39DA51B9DE&&FORM=VRDGAR

greased lightning is the product i was able to find and it worked excellent...put it on let it soak a bit and rinse with hot water...watch it all come out....i did it 2x just to make sure i got it all....no damage from the water....and this was on a collector grade M1 garand stock...after alcohol stain and tung oil its flawless

i spent days with a hair dryer, boiling the cosmo out....didnt work at all for me...looked all blotchy and yuck....for some the sun/heat method works as i have seen endless reviews of it....but didnt work for me...i think 1/4 lb of grease still came off my stock

Edited by huggytree

greased lightning is the product i was able to find and it worked excellent...put it on let it soak a bit and rinse with hot water...watch it all come out....i did it 2x just to make sure i got it all....no damage from the water....and this was on a collector grade M1 garand stock...after alcohol stain and tung oil its flawless

i spent days with a hair dryer, boiling the cosmo out....didnt work at all for me...looked all blotchy and yuck....for some the sun/heat method works as i have seen endless reviews of it....but didnt work for me...i think 1/4 lb of grease still came off my stock

hair dryer does not get hot enough, A paint removal gun works great, just don't stay in one spot to long