M1928 Information and Help

Some nice history right there! I got this off wiki. I guess you got one of G2 patrols weapons.

In October 1941 the LRDG was expanded to 10 patrols by the simple method of splitting the existing patrols into two-half patrols; the New Zealanders formed A Squadron comprising 'R1', 'R2', 'T1', and 'T2' Patrols and the British and Rhodesians formed B Squadron comprising 'G1', 'G2', 'S1', 'S2', 'Y1', and 'Y2' Patrols. The 'H' Patrol had been disbanded in September 1941 after three months service.[

Some nice history right there! I got this off wiki. I guess you got one of G2 patrols weapons.

In October 1941 the LRDG was expanded to 10 patrols by the simple method of splitting the existing patrols into two-half patrols; the New Zealanders formed A Squadron comprising 'R1', 'R2', 'T1', and 'T2' Patrols and the British and Rhodesians formed B Squadron comprising 'G1', 'G2', 'S1', 'S2', 'Y1', and 'Y2' Patrols. The 'H' Patrol had been disbanded in September 1941 after three months service.[

Yes if you could choose your Military Thompson History this would be up there! Founders of Modern Day Special Forces

Hi Scottiebooth@hotmail.com

Welcome to the Thompson forum, the best Thompson website on the Internet!

A very nice Savage Thompson. Thank you for sharing.

I am curious if you find one or both of these markings, GEG and Crown with W inside, on the upper left side of the receiver.

CROP - HG TSMG 061 - crop.jpg

Hi Scottiebooth@hotmail.com

Welcome to the Thompson forum, the best Thompson website on the Internet!

A very nice Savage Thompson. Thank you for sharing.

I am curious if you find one or both of these markings, GEG and Crown with W inside, on the upper left side of the receiver.

CROP - HG TSMG 061 - crop.jpg

Yes it has both, any further information on these marks?

GEG is George E Goll, who had worked for General Thompson at the AOC, and was employed as an inspector by Savage.

The crown-in-a-W is associated with British Purchasing Commission orders; it also appears on some Colt revolvers. At the present its meaning is debated.

scottiebooth@hotmail.com,
I am not surprised both marks are present given the serial number. Could you take a close-up picture of the two marks and post on the forum.

As Mk VII states above, there has recently been a debate on the origin of the W in the Crown mark. In the book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story, the mark is attributed to the Woolwich Arsenal and referenced as the Woolwich mark - see pages 52-54. There is a document cited in footnote 191 that supports this position. Recently, another author has published another location as the basis for this mark - but without any documentation.

I do recommend my book, Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story, as a reference for the Thompson guns that passed through Great Britain during the war. It is available on Amazon with a "Look Inside" feature. I also recommend American Thunder III by Frank Iannamico as another excellent reference book on the military Thompson guns.

Edited by TD.

Richard, what say you? Anything to add from your experiences?

Autorotate,

If you are referring to member rpbcps, he is currently working in an area where he cant access the site, so it will probably be a while before he sees this post.

David Albert

dalbert@ sturmgewehr.con