Wtk: How To Get Smell Out Of Pouches

Hi guys,

I acquired a few TSMG & BAR pouches and belts which are very good- unissued but they smell like they have been in storage for 50 years, probably because they have been. Any tricks of the trade for cleaning them without degrading their appearance and feel?

THANKS

Carey

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif Nooo! Leid, That's the precious smell of 'Army', as we call it in my house...... That scent should be bottled and marketed in a camo/OD bottle, and carried in cataloges. That scent ranks right up there with, burnt gun powder, burning hay and diesel smoke in my book.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif ....jw

I agree with the others, but if it really bothers you, try spraying with Fabreze, available at your local market

You could try stuffing the pouches full of newspaper. It will draw smells out of materials to a degree. There is a cleaning product called "Fabreeze" that is often sprayed on materials to neutralize smells also. Good luck!

Activated charcoal works well also. Put it in a closed container with the pouch. Keep it away from the pouch so it doesn't stain. Odor Eaters & that sort of thing might work.

On a personal note, I like the 60 year old musty smell on military items.

Hi guys,

You RKIs are a wealth of knowledge. That is why I ask BEFORE I mess it up. I wish to preserve and enjoy history, not violate it. I will try the newspaper to try and tone the smell down a notch or two as it is very pungent. Thanks for the tip 57Fordman.

The BAR pouch is dated 06-18 and is like new. My grandfather was carrying the new BAR in that year as a replacement for his french chauchat. No pictures of him with the BAR yet, but we do have BOXES of pictures of him with the chauchat and another MG that I am not familiar with.

The TSMG pouch is dated 1943. My dad was carrying the new M1A1 TSMG in that year with the 82nd Airborne. A picture of him "at the ready" with his thompson just recently surfaced. I will put it up when it arrives.

THANKS

Carey

Leid,

Sounds like we owe your father and grandfather a salute for service.

I can just imagine seeing your grandfather when he first received his BAR. He probably said something to the effect of "This beats the hell out of the chautchat!" http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Post some pics if you find them!

Norm

I'd love to see those vintage photos! It is good to honor the past and display those whenever possible.

As for the smell of military equipment, I bought some vintage unused sandbags from IMA. I've had them in my storage building for about a year and the smell is still strong. I believe that odor acts as a bug repellent. I don't see as many nests in there.

Nothing smells better than a brand new OD#3, 1/2" grid, Britt made helmet net!! BOO YAH!! I have a whole box of em' and my wife never sets foot in that garage!!!

Remember, befor sparaying anything canvas: it may look like new and minty clean, but it is 60 or so years old and there is dirt on it. This dirt will make water marks on your once nice new pice of field gear as it collects at the edges of the evaporating cleaning agent. And ANYTHING you try to clean it with will remove some dye and make it look alittle faded

That stink is usualy the anti-mildew agent and has a petrolly oily sort of smell. If it just smells of mildew, go to a pet store and find 'Natures Miracle'. It is in plain white plastic jugs with plain black and red lettering. It enzimaticaly REMOVES odors rather than just covering them up. It will get cat pee stink out of shearling fying gear, trust me on this one!!

Before doing anything ALWAYS do a test spot in some inconspicuous spot to make sure it will not discolor the canvas in any way.

You might find a day or two hanging outside on a nice sunny day will kill off most odors and/or mildews that cause odors. This method always works best for me.