My New 1928

I have just bought a deactivated 1928 Thompson and was hoping someone could help me with a few details on it, it has no serial number this appears to have been ground off at some point - it has a Lyman battle sight, a smooth barrel and a cutts compensator - I take it from the first 2 features it would be late in the production run, could anyone pin down what kind of date those features would be combined? On the main body inside and out are markings of GEG in a circle - what does that stand for. Would a gun in this configuration have been supplied to Britain during WW2? I cant think of any pictures of 28's with smooth barrels.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Thanks for that - I do British WW2 in living history displays and I know ideally I would have a 28 with finned barrel and flip up type sight, I just wanted to know if the smooth barrel would be correct or if it was just a slight inaccuracy I would have to live with - the gun was only £200 when in theory it should have been nearer £800 so I wasnt going to argue over details.

Thanks

Alistair

Alistair,

Are you located in the U.K.? If so, is the gun deactivated according to the current rules or the old rules?

If the gun made it into British service, it should also have the appropriate British proofing on the barrel, typcially on the right side near the receiver.

I'm sure all manner of Thompsons were used by England and our Allies. I have a photo in a recently printed book of a British soldier in SE Pacific with an M1A1 Thompson. I have a Canadian proofed M1A1 shoulder stock with the characteristically British sling swivel on top and repair on the bottom.

Hi,

Yup im in the UK, its an old spec deac - I had been planning getting one for a bit but the price tag put me off when I saw this one with a bit of surface rust for 1/4 the normal price I had to go for it. Their are no proof marks on the barrel. I know that all sorts of arms made their way into British soldiers hands so just about anything can be explained away but I am mainly looking at the main official supply of Thompsons rather than other means of obtaining one.

Alistair

Alistair--

Are you the same Alistair who used to have a web pages selling deactivated Thompsons in the UK? Just curious.