Reproduction MG08 and 08/15 boosters

With all this corona panic nonsense I'm looking at a machine shop with nothing to do so we're going to make a few hundred booster assemblies. Should I make more for the 08 or the 08/15 boosters? The 08 seems to be missing boosters more often, but I see more people shooting 08/15s. Hoping to offer them cheap enough that people would buy them to use at the range and not mess up the real pieces.

over the years iv seen repo boosters, some great some crap, i hope you mark them as repo,, the number of 08-15 guns way outnumbers the number of 08s, check out dolfs book the devils paintbrush for more info, just sayn

They will be very good quality, and the threads (other than muzzle gland) will be SAE so the parts will not thread to original pieces. I know the production ratios, but it always seems it's the 08 guys looking for boosters. It seems there are way more registered 08s than there are boosters and sled mounts!

Hi,

In short - count me in for an 08/15 booster if you run them. Ok, for the price you are talking I'll take at least 2.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

With all this corona panic nonsense I'm looking at a machine shop with nothing to do so we're going to make a few hundred booster assemblies. Should I make more for the 08 or the 08/15 boosters? The 08 seems to be missing boosters more often, but I see more people shooting 08/15s. Hoping to offer them cheap enough that people would buy them to use at the range and not mess up the real pieces.

Please check your PMs I have photos I would like to email to you.

The material has arrived for the MG08 boosters and in a couple weeks I should be able to share pictures of the components. And to answer a common question - yes, the piston will be made to the proper spec and will fit properly on the muzzle of the MG08. The drawings for the 08/15 booster should be done today, so they should only be a few weeks behind the 08 boosters.

It's also a piece of cake to make the 08 booster fit the 08/15 if anyone wants to go that route - we'll make both variations of the flash hider. thanks to the info provided by RoscoeTurner

The only thing we can't really do properly is bluing. We're looking into it but we'll offer them in the white, parkerized, and cerakoted.

ETA: We're going to do 50 of the 08/15 boosters. cost will be $300ish,

Edited by bigbore

• 3 weeks later...

Any new news on the boosters/flash hiders ?

The MG08 assemblies should be all turned by tomorrow, and we're planning to start milling all the flats hopefully this week. 08/15 boosters are a couple weeks behind. We can also do the MG08 assemblies that assemble without the disk for use on 08/15s.

Edited by bigbore

What are the opinions on the finish for a repop? A solid quality blued finish may be the hardest part of the process and add more cost. Would anyone be interested in parkerized? In the white, Cerakoted - each at a different price point of course. Parkerized will always looked parked, but cerakote would look like blued at arms length. I'll try to get some pics of the progress this week.

We also cut out a couple dozen wrench too.

wrench.jpeg

What are the opinions on the finish for a repop? A solid quality blued finish may be the hardest part of the process and add more cost. Would anyone be interested in parkerized? In the white, Cerakoted - each at a different price point of course. Parkerized will always looked parked, but cerakote would look like blued at arms length. I'll try to get some pics of the progress this week.

We also cut out a couple dozen wrench too.

If I had my choice I would pick in the white. Any possibility of selling the interior barrel rings as extras? These are often missing from original boosters.

cerakote is good if cheaper, mine get red hot after firing a 250 round belt and change color anyway. They end up fused together and full of hard crud anyway.

The sleeve on the end of the 08/15 barrel is its piston. The MG08 has a separate piece that fits over the threads and acts as a piston inside the booster.

piston.jpeg

Edited by bigbore

The sleeve on the end of the 08/15 barrel is its piston. The MG08 has a separate piece that fits over the threads and acts as a piston inside the booster.

Ok, thanks, I did not know that. Are you going to make barrel sleeves for the 08/15 barrels? Like these

post-1716-0-21987800-1586900864_thumb.jpeg

Ok, thanks, I did not know that. Are you going to make barrel sleeves for the 08/15 barrels? Like these

attachicon.gif image.jpeg

I didn't think there was any demand for those. They would be really easy to make.

I could use a couple, also does your muzzle gland seal I saw on your web site work for both Vickers and 08/15? I may have to order some of those too. Good to have someone finally building this stuff. Thanks

I could use a couple, also does your muzzle gland seal I saw on your web site work for both Vickers and 08/15? I may have to order some of those too. Good to have someone finally building this stuff. Thanks

muzzle gland seals for the MG08, 08/15, and Vickers are all different.