New Kid, New Thompson, New Report

Newbie.

First Post.

First Thompson.

I am not new to firearms and have shot since I was in grade school. I have a closet full of rifles, shotguns, pistols, etc.

But like a kid that grew up with a Ferrari poster on his wall - I've always wanted this one.

I purchased a new in the case 1927A1. The gun appears to be a recent factory build. Ordered an extra 30rd military clip and with information I got off of this board drifted the hole a bit higher in it so that it would fit my new gun. I also bought a 3rd party 50rd drum - but have not used it as of yet. Now every slot in the case is filled.

I took "the boys" out shooting this past saturday and decided to run a few rounds through the Thompson. We took plenty of other guns and enough ammo for the four of us to shoot for two hours pretty much non-stop.

The Tommy Gun ran flawlessly for everyone and a was a joy to shoot. We put 250 rounds through it without a hitch.

Relying on my military training I decided to sight it in at 50 yards with a few three round shot groups. Upon firing the first three rounds directly through the bulls eye of the target my sighting it in ended. The sights are dead on - received that way from the factory. That is the first factory issued gun I have ever had arrive sighted perfectly to my eye.

I like the case. I like the gun. I like the way the gun fits into the case.

The local sheriff has already agreed to sign my form 1 and do the fingerprints so I can get my paperwork started to get a short (and appropriate) barrel on it.

However.....

I do not like the long trigger pull. From what I've read here there are about 3,372 other people that don't like it either. So I decided to do a bit of filing and polishing (as I read on here) and now the pull is perfect. It is just less than 1/4 inch before the firing pin drops - not well over 1/2 inch. And it is now very smooth and does not feel odly obstructed.

Did I mention I really like this gun.......?

post-258058-0-25910700-1330658314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Magumbo

Congrats on the new gun and welcome to the board.

If you ever get tired of drilling those magazines do a search on this forum on the subject.

You can replace the mag catch and use std magazines to your hearts content.

Good luck on your short barrel... The paperwork seems to take forever..... I just purchased the same thompson back in January. There are plenty of mods to make your Thompson even more of joy to shoot. Read through the forum on them, most common is the mag catch like what was already stated, and the EZ pull spring kit which currently has a very heated thread going. This website is like a gold mine for good information and almost everyone here is extremely nice and always willing to help. It really is a great board. One other note, you will read about doing the work yourself and sending it to a gunsmith. Frankly most things are pretty easy and if your comfortable with guns they will be no problem whatsoever. However, once your form one is processed and you receive you short barrel I would recommend a gunsmith unless you have a special hydraulic gunsmithing vice. I tried to wrench my barrel off to put on a blank only barrel and despite proper prep and protection I still mared up my reciever a little bit. It is just a suggestion. Anyway welcome to the board and the wonderful world of Thompsons. Best of luck again.