Bruce Canfield's New M1 Garand Book - Amazing!

I was in Nashville all week, and my wife told me that my copy of Bruce Canfield's new book, "The M1 Garand Rifle" arrived on Monday, just after I left. I had to wait until late last night to take my first look at it. It's truly amazing! I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that I think this is the current title holder for the best gun book ever published. That's my initial assessment, based on several factors. Here are some of my observations in the couple of hours I have spent with the book so far:

• It's 872 pages long - A tome of Garand information with no comparison
  • Photos are color throughout, wherever color photos were available
  • It features profuse use of inset marking photos, which is a feature I love to see
  • The book is in portrait format, which is easier to reference, yet it still presents the rifles and inset photos in a pleasing layout that is more often experienced in a landscape formatted book
  • The detail is incredible
  • Bruce must have thousands of hours in this book
  • I like how accessories are featured throughout the book
  • Photography is top notch
  • This book will be difficult to top

I was one of 58 people who are listed as contributors to the book. My contribution was extremely minor, in that I reviewed the Field Manual and Technical Manual commentary, and provided a couple of pictures. I found one of my photos on page 741, and it may be the only one that made the cut, but I'm still looking...

Bruce should be proud of this book. Wow! It's really great. I think I'll have to give it "5 Shooting Stars" for a rating. I will spend a lot of time with this one, and anyone with an interest in the M1 Garand should order one immediately, without hesitation. You will be very happy you did. Add it to your Christmas list, but make it an early present to yourself...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

Thanks for the review and perfect timing. I saw the advertisement for this a few weeks ago when the new Men At Arms magazine arrived and was just looking at some sites with the book for sale yesterday. I was going to email and see if "The book guy" had it yet and your review is well timed. I guess I know what my Christmas gift to myself will be this year.

Ron

• 2 months later...

I have the book - I would have to call it probably one of the best "gun books" I now own, and I have most of them......

This one covers everything about the Garand you could possibly want to know want to know, and then some. Dave is correct, if you want a book on the rifle, this is the one....