Upper and Lower frame stuck. Help please.

Ill try to keep it simple. I have very slightly used 1927A1.

I had feed trouble and returned it to Kahr.

They told me it was the magazines.

Have not tried it since I got it back.

Heres my new problem. Decided to try it out tomorrow. So, I disassembled it to make sure everything was clean and oiled.

The gun was always hard to slide apart for the first inch or so. It always went back together ok. So, being the genius I am, I decided to put it back together without the internals. Just empty upper onto the still assembled lower.

As soon as the take down button reached the end of the slot it follows, it became really hard the completely finish sliding it together. I thought there must be a rough edge on the frame or take down button. But even when it clears the slot, its really are to finish.

Was I not supposed to do this? Seems simple enough. Just slide to frame. Now I have to use a rubber hammer to get it completely shut or back apart. Harder than ever.

Im about fed up with this gun and like to get rid of it, but I couldnt pass it on to someone in good conscience with this problem. If it didnt have the problem, Id keep it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

try a rubber hammer, friends dont let friends buy kahr stuff, just sayn

Curious ... You make this statement about letting friends buy "Kahr stuff" quite often ... Is there an option for those who would like to have a Thompson style weapon but cannot afford a FA Thompson? Or perhaps live in a state where they cannot own a FA Thompson? Is there a better SA gun available on the market? What's the solution? ... Just sayin'

• Upvote 1

dear friend, ive owned a tool and die shop almost 40 years, i was a class 2 mfg for a long time i gave it up in 1986, i still tinker with stuff, mostly stuff no body else can figgure out, it has been my experence with west hurley and then kahr stuff is off the charts for dimention problems, ive seen uppers and lowers so out of spec, warped, bent, matl with no heat treat etc. these must be all hand fitted together, too bad they are the only game in town, good luck happy new year, just sayn

I'll agree with Billy Dixon and quality control issues. And add that Kahr's customer service is "stellar"...........NOT!

I called regarding a failed bolt, extractor grooves broke jamming the extractor into the receiver, not an uncommon problem either. They were within their rights under the warranty to deny any assistance but I also was not expecting full coverage due to the time frame (three year old gun) and second owner (original purchaser bought it and never took it out of the box) which I informed them of both those circumstances at the time of the initial call, did not try to bluff my way through either of those facts. I worked in auto dealerships all of my working years and I never appreciated someone trying to pull a fast one on me so why would I try that? State the facts truthfully and go from there is the best.

IF they had offered a 50/50 split and the shipping at my expense both ways I would have been elated. That day it failed was only the second time the gun had been fired, less than 100 rounds in total had been put through it. The person I spoke to was not even in the least bit courteous, actually kind of a jerk.

So I chalked it up to experience and called to order the replacement parts per the instructions from my gunsmith.

The gunsmith upon inspection of the bolt felt that it was metal embrittlement due to improper heat treating. Same that others with the same problem have had. Incidentally both sides of the extractor groove broke away.

I ordered a replacement bolt and the two roll pins required for it despite their invoice showing two different part numbers for the two roll pins they sent two of the same pins,the originals were two different sizes, both received were the same size. For the three bucks and the time it was not worth it to argue with them, the gunsmith reused one of the originals.

Your results may vary.

Edited by SHOVELHEADRIDER

I’m not sure why I even aggravate myself over this. It’s not about the money. I’ve wasted more on less. I just wanted to figure out the problem is all.

Don’t much care if Karh screwed it up. The situation now is, what’s wrong with it and what’s the fix? I’ll smear it with lapping compound and slide it until it frees up lacking any other solution.

Please try removing the buttstock first.

The butt-stock screw travels all the way up the bushing into the lower receiver, creating a raised pimple in the lower frame that traps the upper.

Removing the stock screws relieves the pressure. Then, apply rubber mallet.

When you get them apart, sand- or mill-down the dimple and, of course...shim-up the screws with washers where they meet the wood to prevent recurrence...Phil

A-O Thompson Semi receiver barrel 001.JPG

anjong Ill look at that today.

I plan on taking it to a local gunsmith today that deals in this type of firearm. I see no point in sending it back to KAHR.

The delay is that they are only open to the public Friday and Saturday. Ill let you all know the outcome. Thanks for the replies and help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can always diy and build your own. Oly Arms bcg and bbl, dpms upper, greasegun mag lower. Thompson wood, cutts comp and it will run. And it’s a whole lot lighter than a 1927a1.

post-259674-0-81804100-1579874055_thumb.jpeg

post-259674-0-61743900-1579874072_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got it fixed. Like 30 minutes ago. It just took a bigger hammer is all. Just Kidding. Lol

Owners manual was a good suggestion but not the issue. I knew how to take it apart. Problem was, it wouldn’t slide apart.

There was the smallest rim, lip, edge, call it what you want, around the take down button. Probably cause by hitting it with the screw driver when taking it apart. It was so small, I couldn’t see it until I got it in better lighting and magnifying glasses.

Lessons learned here. Use Better lighting. Get eyes checked more often after 55.

I truly appreciate all the effort you guys put out helping me.

Thanks