Sorta Off Topic

Don't know about the Kahr Arms 1911's but the Auto Ord. ones were suppose to have soft sears. Other then that they were more or less standard G.I. pistols. I did have one of the Auto Ord. Pit Bulls, it was pure junk, the little tab on the spring plundger broke off and I shot the plundger and spring out over the desert when I was shooting it. Personally, if ya' want a 1911A1 and are on a budget send off for your C&R lic. and after you get it pick up a Sestema Colt,1927 Argintine Pistol. It's 100% Colt made in Argintina and you can get one sent to your door(with your lic.) for $350-$400. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Ever since "Saving Private Ryan" hit the big screen the price of original >45s (both 1911s and 1911A1s) ahs gone through the roof. This is why there are so many companies jumping on the bandwagon, as it were. (Rock Island, Springfield, Kahr, Auto-Ordnance and such.....slap 'em together and they will sell....

Fortunately there is a ton of cheap parts to cure whatever ails any .45 you might pick up. There are also good, cheap receivers on the market that can be put together with GI parts kits into really nice pieces. This is the way I'd go if I didn't already own more that I'll ever need. FAC and Sportsman's Guide come to mind as two companies who sell these kits and receivers...

A great book to assist in troubleshooting is "Hallock's .45 Handbook. Ken Hallock (Midwest City Oklahoma) was a Match Armorer for the Air Force pistol team for 26 years before he retired. I've watched him as he did great things to a .45 with very little effort.....this mans knowledge level of these guns is INCREDIBLE!!! I'm not sure if he is still alive, but I know he doesn't do shows anymore. His book, however, is still available (www.gunshowbooks.com) and is one of the greatest ever written. This man did all his work using strictly GI parts....troubleshooting and modification are all included in the book, as well as a list of manufacturers, serial numbers and dates of manufacture!!!

Pick up a copy before they all disappear....I guarantee you'll like this book! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

john

QUOTE (john @ Mar 14 2004, 03:37 PM)
Ever since "Saving Private Ryan" hit the big screen the price of original >45s (both 1911s and 1911A1s) ahs gone through the roof. This is why there are so many companies jumping on the bandwagon, as it were. (Rock Island, Springfield, Kahr, Auto-Ordnance and such.....slap 'em together and they will sell....

i have one of springfields wwII repro's.

it is hardly slaped togther, and aside from the lettering on the slide it's a fairly close rendering of a late ithaca.

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.p...ysprune=45&f=29

so far all problems that have surfaced have been owner(it seems most people did'nt realize what a non-lowered ejection port does to brass) related or minor nothings, that should work themselfs out with more use.

Edited by brian

I shopped for quite a while before finding a 1913 Colt model 1911. It is a GI bringback (WW2) rebuilt at RIA parkerized with an Ithaca slide. I paid too much for it, but since I bought it the prices have caught up and passed what I paid for it. My sons and I have put about 500 rounds through it and it hung up feeding once. I'm very happy with my 91 year old rebuilt Colt. One great side benefit was finding a beautiful 1965 manufactured 1911 National Match for about half the going price while I was looking for the "old" Colt. The "old" Colt is displayed with web gear and a M1A1 parts kit on my wall. Someone told me there were some good deals on 1911's and 1911A1's coming out of Canada because of laws going into effect restricting these pistols. Uncle Dudley