MG sold price at RIAC, Julia and Morphy

yohuang

Thanks for posting your list. Those who don’t keep track of auction axtivity and results will find it useful. As a dealer and participant in auctions for many years I get catalogs gratis from these outfits and have all the data on the MGs along with the selling prides. MNany people, myself included, have kept track of a wide variety of different types of MGs with as much info as possibel about each, that reached the market over many years and use that reference for lots of purposes.

While it is useful to know what values the different types of guns brought at auction, that information is not reliable as a market indicator for many reasons, and auction prices are subject to dramatic variance over time. The Stern auction, handled by Julia some years back, is a great example of really irrationally high values paid and the the two subsequent auctions where the values plummeted. Bidders seemed to stay away feeling that the auction would not be a sourde of good deals. In those auctions following there were some spectacular deals.

Knowing only the prices does not tell one anything about the condition of the gun, accessories, provanance, accuracy of model ID, transfer status, and other info that is very important to fully understand the sale. And it doesn’t really reveal anything about the numbers of examples in the NFRTR, relative scarcity or orher info of that sort.

While a limited resource it is good to have on tap. Thanks again.

Thank you for compiling all that DATA!

A print out of the COWAN's auctions results may prove useful.

That was where most of Dick Wray's guns went up for sale.

I don't know how many transferables they see at each auction.

Richard

It's a great suggestion. Cowan did sell some MGs. Their catalogs were poorly organized, item description does not include key words like "NFA", "ATF", "Class III", "Machine Gun" etc, all items were mixed together, so it would take lots of effort to browse those catalogs to dig out MGs. I will do that when I have spare time.

====

Regarding those PDFs, I did not incorporate detail descriptions for each item except very simple "notes" (last column). Usually, the notes contains the most important less-than-desirable features of an item. So, empty notes is good, but I could miss something while viewing those.

If you care a specific type of gun, for example, if you care "STEN", just search the word in the PDF. It gives auction session and lot number. You can find details in vendors' catalog.

For RIAC, the catalogs are here: https://www.rockislandauction.com/gun-auctions/ (at the bottom of the page, there is a "Past Auction" link)

For Julia, the catalogs are here: https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdjulia/catalog-archive/?division=596

For Morhphy, the catalogs are here: https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/catalog.aspx?auctionid=324

Their descriptions could contain errors too. They handle lots of guns, so making some errors here or there were not surprising. But be honest, their descriptions are much detailed and better organized than those advertisements on gunbroker.com or machineguncentral.com. Enjoy!

Today I was reminded that Amoskeag auctions also has class III firearms and destructive devices (Solothurns, Lahti's)
I don't know if their historical data files are available on-line?

Looking at prices of certain guns sold 10 years ago, we noted that many didn't sound like a bargain and in fact some haven't really changed price wise.
The economy and political circumstance in 2008 was very different than now.

Of course I was looking for 9MM OWEN smg's and only spotted ONE sold across all 3 lists!

Richard

Today I was reminded that Amoskeag auctions also has class III firearms and destructive devices (Solothurns, Lahti's)

I don't know if their historical data files are available on-line?

Looking at prices of certain guns sold 10 years ago, we noted that many didn't sound like a bargain and in fact some haven't really changed price wise.

The economy and political circumstance in 2008 was very different than now.

Of course I was looking for 9MM OWEN smg's and only spotted ONE sold across all 3 lists!

Richard

Yes. Amoskeag sold some MGs, Here is the list that they posted:

http://www.amoskeagauction.com/ClassIIIsales.html

One other thought is a number of MG's listed at auction don't meet reserve, so while a sale price may be listed, it didn't actually sell.......at all, much less for the price listed. I've bid against myself on more than one occasion, and even lost? Most auctions are not "absolute".

I met such a situation in Julia auction. Looks like they had arranged a "shill bidder" competing with me. The gun was a rare 20-shot Mauser Broomhandle pistol with matching stock coming from a famous European collection. It was pushed to $40K, but they asked me to pump it to $45 because another guy bid $42.5K. I gave up.

The gun was relisted for offer after auction. Not sure being reserve not met, or winner not paying. God knows. It was finally sold $37K to someone including buyer's premium via offering.

But that situation was rare.