New 1927a1 Semi Auto Workmanship

Just purchased a new semi auto 27a1. I have owned previously the m1 model made before the company was sold in 1999. I have to admit, the ones previously manufactured by West Hurly although requiring some tinkering to make them run good, did have better workmanship on the machining of the receiver. The trigger on this feels like it was cast and not polished where as the previous one appeared to be machined and polished. I am shocked at the terrible machining used in manufacturing this firearm. Lines are uneven and it even appears that some parts are not fully finished.

The lines in the receiver have sharp edges instead of more rounded smooth edges like original guns. I would have to say, adding computer controlled milling machines did not even come close to the making of a better firearm than the previous manufacturer.

I am tempted to return it for a replacement to see what I would get. It looks like I need to get in touch with PK for a little finish work to bring the firearm up to its potential in the looks department and finish what Kahr arms has failed to do. The stamping is also a little lighter on the receiver denoting model and manufacturer.

Dont know what to do.

The lines in the receiver have sharp edges instead of more rounded smooth edges like original guns. I would have to say, adding computer controlled milling machines did not even come close to the making of a better firearm than the previous manufacturer.

Computer controled milling machines only repeat what they have been tought. It makes perfect copies of the job it knows; if that job is rough edges, then that's what it makes. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I ordered (and received) a receiver only from Kahr. Mine didn't look bad, but I found out that Kahr isn't actually making (milling out) the receiviers. When I had my FFL call to place the order, he said that they were out of receivers and were waiting for a shippment from the company who made them. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Good luck with the gun. I wouldn't count on getting a replacement from Kahr. If you keep the gun, get a Dave Janowski spring kit and consider having the gun reworked and refinished.

Sorry about your woes http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Norm

I wonder if Kahr has different sources for their receivers. The Kahr I purchased a year ago is excellant in fit and finish. The edges are rounded and there are NO machine marks on the gun anywhere. The markings are deep and crisp, except for the serial number which is light and must have been added by Kahr. It had just a bit of play between the upper and lower, but PK took care of that when he cut my barrel short and added FA fire controls. It never failed to feed for me even before PK. The entire gun has a really great finish and that's what sold me on it, except I didn't like the black painted stock (mine is the Commando model 27A1), but it had some original WWII wood underneath the paint which turned out to be a bonus. I've been really pleased with the Kahr, and with PK's touch, it is as close to the right look as I can get without having to get BATF approval.

as stated before, I had my 75 Westy next to a brand new Kahr

at the range shop. The difference is staggering! The Kahr

looks like an imitation-replica when compared to the West Hurleys.

To many seams on the metal, no final finishing, etc...

But, PK can iron out most of those troubles and get it looking right.

Best, Z

After owning many of the WH Guns, I much prefer the Kahr Models. WH had A LOT of rough edges too. Plus the sides of their Receivers and the Rear were never polished. Left in the rough. I just looked at three Karh Rifles and despite the Wood, they looked pretty nice. JMHO..

Thanks for the information. I will take my gun back and see if they can at least have Kahr rectify this by taking care of the unfinished magazine well. I noticed that other guns I have looked at, have this area finished smooth with no machine swirl marks and uneven edges. Thanks for the information.

The bulk of the AO & Kahr owners I've spoken with, feel the Kahr gun is far more finished than the AO versions, and of higher quality materials, than the earlier models.

In most cases neither model functioned really well out of box.

I have a Kahr 27A1 and the exterior finish is great, internally there are swirled machine marks. After modifying the mag catch, and PK's fixing the mess I made of it, the gun functions flawlessly.

Some of the high end revolvers I own have machine marks on the inside!

I was very put off on the 1st trip to the range. 3 shots and hang, 2 shots, hang.

There are quite a few FA's out there that feed just the same. They just need a few minor adjustments and some TLC.

• 4 weeks later...