Home Guard Case Study

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Next batch i can follow the print!!! Instead of reverse engineered 

Dan,

As always, if you want a copy, I'll be happy to do that for you.

Richard

On 6/7/2023 at 10:37 AM, rpbcps said:

Dan,

As always, if you want a copy, I'll be happy to do that for you.

Richard

I'd be interested in a copy of those prints, as I work in a wood shop, and I'm still waiting on the feds to process the papers on my 1928. It'd be a good project to pass the time! :)

13 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

I'd be interested in a copy of those prints, as I work in a wood shop, and I'm still waiting on the feds to process the papers on my 1928. It'd be a good project to pass the time! :)

PM sent 

A colleague restored a Willy's Jeep, a good few years ago. He had fun doing that.

My son works as an architectural technologist, so his office has a good copier; he has kindly scanned the original drawings of the transit chest for us.
If anyone is interested in copies, drop me a PM with your email address, and I'll forward them on. 

In exchange, for those who can afford it, how about a small donation to the board, at your discretion. David could always do with a little extra help, to keep the Thompson History Alive.
https://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18621-donations-to-machinegunboardscom-very-happily-accepted/#comment-158813

For those who can't afford it, you'll still get copies of the drawings, if you want them, just send me a PM 🤫

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well, I'm still waiting on the feds (big surprise) and in between new house related projects, I've finally found the time to convert the plans to a 3D format to help visualize matters, and make sure I understand the plans properly. 

Which, currently, has brought up two minor questions. Ok, three, if you count the absurd use of imperial decimal units. 

One, is the two odd cleat like cavities called for in the long rib running down the middle of the lid. I can't fathom why they're included. A spot to roll up a bundle of cleaning rags perhaps? 

The second issue, and the only real issue I've run into with the plans, is that the spare parts storage compartment lid doesn't seem to make any sense. The vertical divider on the left is supposed to be proud of the rest of the magazine rack, and chamfered towards the left. Yet at the same time, the lid is supposed to occupy the same space?

Since this is a one off, I'll probably just make it work somehow, but I'm curious to know what I'm missing here. 

I did see one photo posted earlier in the thread that shows the lid installed, but not opened, in a manner inconsistent with the plans...

received_250616431353940.jpeg

Made some progress, cutting dovetails in spruce is something of a bear, but it's definitely "good enough for government work". 

I realize now, that those two cutouts under the lid create clearance for the nuts holding the handle on. 

Speaking of which, I've found some new made handles that look somewhat correct, but I'm uncertain as to the hole placement. Does anyone know off the top of their head of an ideal substitution for the original article? 

PXL_20231207_205739815.jpg

Hello Maine-Iac,

Please contact Deerslayer on this forum, he built a transit chest for me and he found the hardware. I don’t remember where he got the handle, but the latches came from Range Rover! 

Good luck, your chest looks pretty good so far.

Mark

2 hours ago, Rabbit57 said:

Hello Maine-Iac,

Please contact Deerslayer on this forum, he built a transit chest for me and he found the hardware. I don’t remember where he got the handle, but the latches came from Range Rover! 

Good luck, your chest looks pretty good so far.

Mark

Thanks, I've actually found a reasonably priced source on reproduction hardware, it's just the handle I'm short on now. 

https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/repro-sniper-chest-hardware-set

That, and the odd assortment of screws. 

It's starting to look like something! The screws are largely cosmetic, as I've applied modern glue to all of the wooden components. So, it feels a bit silly applying the screws to the lid battens, knowing that they're not really doing much, and the felt will cover them entirely... But dammit, I'll know they're there! 

As the old man would say, it's a "belt and suspenders job"

Now I'm pretty much just waiting on the lid hardware, and finding a source of the felt stripping. 

Ah, and I need to pick up 4x washers for the leather cleaning rod keepers. I lucked out, there were four perfect screws for that job in the 120+ year old windowframe I just replaced at our house. Cost effective recycling! 

PXL_20231215_224436126.MP.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 11:15 PM, Maine-iac said:

It's starting to look like something! The screws are largely cosmetic, as I've applied modern glue to all of the wooden components. So, it feels a bit silly applying the screws to the lid battens, knowing that they're not really doing much, and the felt will cover them entirely... But dammit, I'll know they're there! 

As the old man would say, it's a "belt and suspenders job"

Now I'm pretty much just waiting on the lid hardware, and finding a source of the felt stripping. 

Ah, and I need to pick up 4x washers for the leather cleaning rod keepers. I lucked out, there were four perfect screws for that job in the 120+ year old windowframe I just replaced at our house. Cost effective recycling! 

PXL_20231215_224436126.MP.jpg

Excellent work, you have done a very good job on that chest 👍

• 3 months later...

Having sourced a set of plans from rpbcps (thanks again RB) to build myself a couple of transit boxes I am now searching for the hinge drawing DD(E)1895 referenced -  Would anyone have a copy of DD(E)1895 or know where or how to find it in the MOD files system?   Alternatively, if there is anyone with an original box that could take some detailed photos and measurements I get some reproduced.

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Excellent additions to this topuc everyone.   Nice to see that someone produces a hinge "kit"!!

Since my progress is waiting on hardware, and... the Thompson itself to actually arrive, I figure I might as well post what I have for resources so that others might try their hand at making a transit chest.

The CAD files are for Sketchup 2017, a pretty simplistic, and free program.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/a4fxsrpzwi4aamt9zh54v/AN2QJReOXFWROd6dKpk7GTQ?rlkey=892xhefg75vswkcbiil1r5hr7&dl=0

On 4/8/2024 at 3:27 PM, Mk VII said:

Here ya go ...

DDE1895.jpg

Ack, it's so close to being legible. Some of the handwritten dimensions can be made out... but only barely. I'm going to try and reverse engineer the blueprints from what can be deciphered, since it's all 1:1 scale anyhow.