Is The Sbr Engraving Required On An

I just posted an FAQ about the procedure for installing a Short Barrel on the Semi-Thompson. I was unclear if installing a short barrel on an existing firearm required the SBR engraving on the receiver, with owner's address, city and state, date of manufacture. I've heard different things. Would you guys please give input here? If you can back it up with ATF regs. that would be helpful. If it is required, then I will edit my FAQ to include this step.

A manufacturer of an SBR (or SBS) doesn't have to put a date of mfg. of the gun. The information that is required is the maker's name, city, and state (BATF approved abbreviations are acceptable.) Likewise, many folks who make and register an SBR/SBS use the original manufacturer's serial number. FWIW, only the serial number has to be on the frame/receiver. The other information can be placed on the barrel. (See 27 CFR 179. 62 through 179.64 for procedure/making requirements, and 27 CFR 179.102 for marking requirements.)

With that said, in layman's terms, if you have an approved Form 1, you can use the semi-auto's serial number and caliber (already on the receiver) and add your barrel (with your name, city and state stamped/engraved) to have your SBR/SBS. HTH

I looks as if a letter is needed to the ATF to fully clarify the law. There is no mention in the law as written as to the use of an existing rifle and converting it to a SBR in the area pertaining to the need of any additional lettering.

The laws like so many are open ended.

On the application to make and register a firearm.

1. Definitions

I. Make The term "make", and the various derivatives of such word, shall include manufacturing (other than by one qualified to engage in such business under NFA), putting together, altering, any combination of these, or otherwise producing a firearm.

2. Preparation of Application and Payment of Tax

h. Serial Numbers and Other Markings If an existing firearm is being modified into an NFA firearm, enter the existing serial number of the firearm into item 4g and the name and address of the original manufacturer into item 4a. DO NOT ALTER OR MODIFY THE EXISTING SERIAL NUMBER. If the NFA firearm is being made from parts, your name and address are to be entered into 4a and a serial number you create is to be entered into item 4g.

There is no indication on the form in regards to any other markings needed.

Sgt.

Upon receipt of your Stamp were there specific instructions supplied as to the need of additional lettering needed to complete the SBR?

Not a flame Greycrow, but a letter to the BATF is NOT needed to fully clarify the law. All anyone needs to do is read the law. (These sections are pretty crystal clear...no legal-ese jargon.) Aside from Hardrede's posting of open letter concerning marking height/depth, check the sections I listed: 27 CFR 179.62, .63, and .64, and 179.102. What you've quoted is simply the Form 1 instructions that detail how to fill out a Form 1.

It is perfectly acceptable to use the existing serial number on the receiver as the serial number of your SBR (or SBS, whichever the case may be.) OTOH, if you desire to use a different serial number, it is also acceptable, provided that the new serial number is also engraved/stamped on the receiver. Other than that, the mfg.'s name, city and state can be engraved/stamped anywhere on the gun as long as it is "conspicuous" adn meets minimum size/depth requirements.

HTH

Grey Crow--

No other special instructions came with my form 1, concerning the SBR. They just sent the stamped and signed form.

I agree!

If I were making firearms then I would need to follow the prescribed law as written. Seeing that I am not making a firearm, running with the serial number and manufacturers name as it stands on the rifle should be ok.

All of the engraving does comply to ATF/NFA regulations as written, all of the information as to serial number and manufacturer are on the receiver.

From what "I" interpret from it no additional engraving is needed.

LOL, I don't consider any of the replies as flames. We just got off of the track from what the original question was.

Grey Crow--

Thanks, I'll include that in the FAQ also.