Revealing and recording faint markings
Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:02 AM
Here's a quick harmless way to do it. This method will sometimes reveal markings too faint for the naked eye. And you will have an image for your permanent records.
1. Clean the markings with a solvent (denatured alcohol) and an old toothbrush. You need to get all the dirt & gunk out of the markings.
2. Light a plain old wax candle. Play the flame over the markings until they are completely covered with black soot.
3. Take a piece of "Magic" or "Invisible" tape and carefully place it over the markings. Note that it will not stick to the soot and may try to slide. If it does, go back to step 2.
4. Gently press & rub the tape over the markings. A Q-tip works great.
5. Carefully pull the tape off and stick it on a white card or paper.
6. Clean and OIL the firearm!
Give it a try. Class dismissed.
Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:06 AM
Will have to give that a try. Use a chalk pencil to fill these markings on a MG08 barrel yesterday for a little photo work.