Looking for tips on buying first Reising

Guys what do you think of this finish. i believe its the original parkerizing. It looks to have been taken without flash making it appear darker.

IMG_0254.JPGIMG_0255.JPGIMG_0256.JPGIMG_0257.JPG

Edited by Thompsonlover

Thanks guys! Yes they are iphone photos. I believe it is the original finish too. My brother was armorer during the Vietnam War and he reparked many GI weapons. He also believes its the original finish.

Edited by Thompsonlover

get a few pics outdoors...finish looks extremely good, so be cautious...score if it is original

my pics are iphone...they look great to me...tell him to turn the lights on!!! not take pics in a dark room to hide flaws

My vote would be refinished. "CAL" looks like it has hit the bead blaster a bit hard. The sight screw is missing and it looks like new in that area. Of course it looks much darker than it should. There are other subtle indicators I see as well.

Now you have me doubting its originality. I did notice the "CAL" being almost gone. Looking at the picture closely I also noticed where the finish is scuffed near the manufactures markings it appears that the parkerizing is lighter in color. I didn't notice the sight screw being missing. Also the screws attaching the trigger guard are a different color. This may be attributed to a different subcontractor supplying them??? Reising started parking their guns in September 1942. The serial number on the gun is 54418 out of 73601 (1942) so it may be within the correct time frame for factory parkerizing. Not sure what to do now?? What other subtle indicators do you see? Much thanks for your imput.

Edited by Thompsonlover

Mine is as nice. $6500 from Ruben. Dont pay $7,900. $6500 is over priced enough

Sit back and wait. Offer $6,000 on it?

$7900 is insane.

He's known to discount his listing price a little if you negotiate but it did sell fairly quick.

My advice would be to keep looking for the right gun and not be too concerned with the price. Money comes and goes but having a correct, original and well functioning Reising is something you will be happy about for years to come.

I have owned my Model 50 for about 9 years. It is WW2 USGI and looks and runs like a champ. Never had an issue with it. I have heard all the stories and read all the posts about complaints of malfunctions, parts breakage, "The Marines dumped them all into the Matanikau River...", blah blah blah, and wonder what the fuss is all about. I have not had a moment of regret on the decision to buy my Reising.

Go for it. You will be glad you did.

Regards,

Charlie

Marine-with-Reising-and-Mag-Pouch-ed.jpg

Thanks Charlie! I am still actively looking and I'm sure one will turn up soon. I have seen a bunch of nice ones for sale over the past few years and now that I want one the military ones have dried up for the time being. I found a cool blued one that if I was in the market for one, I would grab it up. It was owned by two agencies. First the police and the the department of natural resources in my state of Florida. At $5150 its a bargain. A friend of mine also has one and I'm going over to his house on Tuesday to check it out. I also have another lead on one in Virginia.

q1.pngq2.pngq3.pngq4.png

q5.png

Edited by Thompsonlover

• 1 month later...

Well, I found and bought a nice one. It was manufactured in 1943 (late production around 1K before production stopped) and has most of all the military features I was looking for. The only thing missing from my list was the finger grooves in the stock. The only downside is a light PD marking etched on the top of the receiver. Its light and doesn't bother me too much. I picked it up for $5K which I think is a bargain for one with military features. My form 4 will be sent in at the end of this week and then the fun waiting time begins. The gun comes with one mag and he has an additional 5 for $1K. I turned down the mags for right now. I know they are tough to come by.

R1.jpgR2.jpgR5.jpgR6.jpgR8.jpgpix452766341.jpgpix249112052.jpg

Edited by Thompsonlover

Never mind. (With homage to the late Ms. Radner)

The angle in the photo made them look longer.

FWIW there are some home-brewed 25 rounders out there made by modifying TSMG XXXs and there are some NIB 30 rounders from Keystone. The former are dependent on the care taken in the modification and the latter may need some lip adjustment. The Christie mags are the gold standard. They work flawlessly first time, every time

A friend seem to think the sling and mag pouch are repro's. What do you guys think of this:

Reising action bar $150 each (2 available)

Reising 20 round Magazine $130 each (3 available) all blued

Reising 12 round Magazilne $115 each (5 available)
1-Park'd no markings
1-Park'd NE-7 marking
1-Park'd NE-5 marking
1-Blued NE-7 marking
1-Blued NE-9 marking
All prices are shipped