• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:57 AM

How do you replace an extractor and/or spring if needed?

#22 Roland the Thompsongunner

Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I am into motorcycles both dirt and street. Musclecars, and WWII reenacting and weapons.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

The extractor comes out pretty easy. Just have to pick up on the front of it and put a punch in the hole at the rear and slide it forward. The firing pin  comes out after you remove the pin that passes through the bolt.

#23 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 799 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

I got it off, and went ahead and replaced my extractor spring with a new one.  Figured why not.  I can not for the life of me figure out how to remove that pin that holds the firing pin in place.  It's snug as crap.  I'm sure a bench vise is needed.  I guess I don't need to replace it anyways for now.

#24 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:I am into motorcycles both dirt and street. Musclecars, and WWII reenacting and weapons.

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thats a tough one to get out. Dont mess with it unless you start getting light hits on the primer. I had a couple of out of battery occurances with my gun a while back and I changed out the extractor and it fixed the issue. I think the weak spring tension let the firing pin hit the primer before the bullet was seated in the barrel far enough. If that ever happens, make sure to check your barrel as I ended up with squib rounds in the barrel. Glad to hear your gun is running. They are a blast to shoot! Dan

#25 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

I'm glad too.  It's nice to know that was mostly was just ammo and drum issues with the gun all original.  The new recoil spring and extractor spring are nice "feel good" changes that will hopefully keep this gun purring for 72 more years!  Thanks for the help again!

#26 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

Here is a picture of my gun being held by Richard Cole who was Col. Dolittle's copilot from the bombing run on Tokyo. He is 98 years old. He was signing autographs and I had my russian gear on and my gun and he stood up and asked to see it. He liked it and asked a bunch of questions about it. Was an honor to meet him and also to get this picture.

Glad to help with the gun issue. Love my PPSH its my favorite WWII subgun.  Dan

Attached Files

• Attached File  128.JPG   132.05K   11 downloads

#27 laurencen

laurencen

• Board Benefactor
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

98 years old and looks good with the gun, too bad he did not have the chance to shoot it, betting he has lots of stories to tell

#28 Roland the Thompsongunner

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:34 PM

He flew a B25 last year. They said he flew it textbook perfect. I would have loved to have him fire it but it was at an air show.

#29 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

I'm sure he remembers where every button in the B25 is to touch.