My New Japanese Type 11

Hey all,

I wanted to share one of my most recent acquisitions: a Japanese Type 11 LMG. This is of course transferable. It has all original finish and is ALL matching, inside and out. I have been looking for one of these for years and I finally have one! This was made in 1941.

There are some interesting notes: the hopper looks like it received a small amount of shrapnel damage (the hopper of course is numbered and original to the gun). I was assured by the seller that it does not inhibit loading or feeding, but I have not tested it out myself yet. Also, there is a weird marking, which I believe *may* be an import mark? It is very lightly struck on the receiver. I can barely make out a name and a city/state. Some city ending in "ville" and a name ending in Sr. I don't know if this was a "property" mark of the guy who brought it back? Or an import mark? But it is not a rewat (at least, not that I can tell) and the manufacturer on the form is "Japan".

Also, there is a screw missing that retains the stock as photoed. If anyone has an idea where I can get a replacement, please let me know. Thanks for looking!

post-260857-0-77276100-1599263925_thumb.jpg

post-260857-0-77983300-1599263932_thumb.jpg

post-260857-0-07745000-1599263938_thumb.jpg

post-260857-0-81162900-1599263943_thumb.jpg

post-260857-0-18637400-1599263949_thumb.jpg

post-260857-0-28608000-1599263954_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I wanted to share one of my most recent acquisitions: a Japanese Type 11 LMG. This is of course transferable. It has all original finish and is ALL matching, inside and out. I have been looking for one of these for years and I finally have one! This was made in 1941.

There are some interesting notes: the hopper looks like it received a small amount of shrapnel damage (the hopper of course is numbered and original to the gun). I was assured by the seller that it does not inhibit loading or feeding, but I have not tested it out myself yet. Also, there is a weird marking, which I believe *may* be an import mark? It is very lightly struck on the receiver. I can barely make out a name and a city/state. Some city ending in "ville" and a name ending in Sr. I don't know if this was a "property" mark of the guy who brought it back? Or an import mark? But it is not a rewat (at least, not that I can tell) and the manufacturer on the form is "Japan".

Also, there is a screw missing that retains the stock as photoed. If anyone has an idea where I can get a replacement, please let me know. Thanks for looking!

Beautiful gun! If you ever end up needing some spare parts, let me know. I have many. bolts, barrel, shrouds, small parts, etc. They aren't cheap, but I am a source if ever needed.

Hey all,

Beautiful gun! If you ever end up needing some spare parts, let me know. I have many. bolts, barrel, shrouds, small parts, etc. They aren't cheap, but I am a source if ever needed.

Thanks for the response. If you have a spare stock cross retaining pin(?) let me know!

Man I really like that , a type 11 is definitely on my list to get , I just got my type 96 this week and am already looking , I wish I had more cash to spend.

There is a guy on Gunboards I spoke with that may be selling his. He is selling it for more than what I paid for mine and more than what I have seen others go for, but not much higher. I can get you his Gunboards user name if you're interested in reaching out to him.

Edited by tricky9914

Hey all,

Thanks for the response. If you have a spare stock cross retaining pin(?) let me know!

I have almost everything, so I'll check for that. Barrels, bolts, etc as well.

Hey all,

Cool, let me know. I actually also need the pin that locks the barrel jacket to the receiver. I was thinking of having my gunsmith fabricate the two pins but would rather have originals. Thanks for checking!

Hey all,

• 3 weeks later...

Just a head's up that the low hole in the stock iron takes a through rivet, flathead on one side and flathead peened on the opposite side, not a screw. The forward top screw looks pretty buggered but a careful search in a good hardware store in the plastic drawers of open trays might reveal a good replacement that can be appropriately age blended with the general condition of the iron.

The bipod leg retaining bracket and screws are missing from the underside of the front end of the receiver. You can locate the machine screw holes for mounting it. It is a piece of thin sheet steel about 5/8" across, 3" plus long with semicircular bends on each end to nest the bipod legs when the legs are folded.

Fun shooters with the most amazing mechanical churning sounds from the stock when firing the gun if you have your ear next to it!

Thanks for the note on the screws etc! The screw holes on the top and bottom of the stock were stripped which is why the screws were backing out... The screws themselves were fine. I filled and re-drilled the holes and now the two stock screws are snug and the stock is tight - I am still looking for the cross rivet however. Thanks for the note on the bi-pod retainer - I will keep an eye out for a replacement or I may make my own. Also, my gun is missing the lock pin that locks the barrel jacket to the receiver. If you happen to know of a source that may have one, please let me know. Thanks again!