Thompson case, WWII vintage

Hello Forum,
I am looking for a good example of the Thompson WWII submachine gun. I have some time, I am waiting for my father's trust to settle, I am thinking in the next few months.post-275737-0-08495900-1630606446_thumb.jpeg

In the meantime, I have started to pick up some items, including this WWII vintage case. Overall, I am pretty happy with it, it is a decent example. The stitching seems pretty tight, and the zipper works just fine. But there is a small tear on the back side, I think it is just dry rot. I am posting to see if anyone knows how to maintain this canvas material, I don't think I would actually use this case again, but I am happy to add it to the collection.

Here's a repro case for your Thompson-to-be if you don't want to use that original. It is of very high quality and really looks the part. The brass zipper on mine didn't run very well until I rubbed a little paraffin on the teeth. Now it's perfect.

U.S. Thompson Sub-Machine Gun Cal .45 Cover – International Military Antiques (ima-usa.com)

Other places sell them, too

TSMGguy, that is nice!

Yes, I like the original, but I sure don't want to damage it. It's fine for the collection, but not to carry the gun in. Your suggestion looks like the way to go.
Thanks,
Rabbit