Need input on GSG MP40

Thanks folks, I run the website for Zoot Shooting and do reviews on different guns for them. I have been asked about the MP40 replica and have not handled one. Anyone here own one and/or shot one of the beasties? Any information is gladly wanted!

I bought one ... It runs fine ... However, the charging handle can come off as they have a really weak dentent holding it in. (this is a common complaint) ... It was an easy fix, doesn't come off now ... The cool factor drops off quickly after buying one. Magazines are very difficult to load without a mag loader ... The magazines only hold 25 rounds.

I don't see the quality being very high ... You pretty much get what you pay for.

Thanks Old Trooper! I might still try to find one to evaluate, but unless I fall in love with it, doubt I would buy one.

I picked one up and am happy with it. It can be SBR'd with a stock assembly available from the importer. Vigneron mags can be modded to work (as on the real MP-40). Basically a niche holder if you don't have 15K for a real one.

Does anyone know if the barrels will work on a MP40 SMG? I'd like to save my original barrel, but can't find a replacement at a reasonable price. I'd pay the price for a GSG semi-auto if I an use the barrel on my Steyr MP40.

At APEX we sell a LOT of magazines for the GSG-MP40.
I have had a couple magazines returned due to loading issues, and one with a bent feed lip (suspect it happened during shipping)
We also sell/ship the folding stock mod kit every day (when I have them in stock).
APEX has also sold the thread adapter for the muzzle, so some people have added a suppressor to their guns.
I am trying to stock parts for this gun, so far I am still waiting.
The GSG MP40 items are in the same category with real MP40 parts.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/machine-guns/sub-machine-guns/more/mp38-mp40.html?product_list_order=name&product_list_limit=56

Also, even though I state that the mags won't interchange with real MP-40 magazines customers still buy them and then return them when they discover that fact for themselves!

Richard

Thank you all for your help. Richard, I made the mistake of looking at your parts kits.....you have Galils....I am in SO much trouble...

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 2 of them. I have shot both with zero problems. we use ours for ww2 reenactments, and run the blanks from atlantic wall. he also sells the correct bfa for them that screws onto the barrel. I saw Richards post about the returned mags. they definetly need a loader to charge them, and ive also found on my brand new mags on the right side of the follower there is a piece of sprue sometimes still attached to it. its not big but the follower cant be pushed down in the mag without difficulty. I use a finger nail file to do the removal. I cant afford 20,000 for a gun so this is the closest ill get. I have shot a friends that has the folding stock he bought from apex. id say we were shooting maybe 40 yards and the gun is quite accurate. right now id like to maybe do something about the black shiney plastic and get it dulled down a bit or paint it the bakelite color to look more realistic. . any suggestions?

peter

• 3 weeks later...
There are reasonably priced repro Bakelite furniture sets for the original MP40 on eBay. The set would be a cosmetic improvement for the GSG pistol if it can be modified to fit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the GSG MP-40 SBR CAME IN And it is a 900 buck cheap alternative to spending $25 grand fora all matched Mint MP-40 TO shoot the fun out of and hang on a wall and let gun folk shoot or fondle it and not worry about it. Also sbr with stock is the way to go.since you can shoot from hip or shoulder with some form of accuracy. And with modified trigger bar it shoots fairly quick.It no way compares to the MP-38 being made in Germany now, That one in build finish is a 100% far superior. But that one is also over 3 times the price.So you do get what you pay for. My advice to those that plan on buying or already own STOCK IT.

You can run around and play 'Where Eagles Dare' and shoot real 9mm instead of b.b.s. and probably about 90% of the public that go to a range would not know the difference.It is what it is Made in Germany not China or Japan. a close replicant that shoots 9mm on the cheap!

And you will not have to suffer a big dough loss when the family dumps it when you are gone.

Or the tale of Grandpa brought it back from the War.What war was that in 2017 again.And much better if somebody arrives to check stuff out and they say oh that a mgc Japan model? And you say nope made in Germany 9mm lets go in the back and run 30 or so thru it.

Disclaimer.When firing it will not give you the impression you are in Libya fighting the 8th Army....

DSCN0491.JPGIt's a fun range gun. Stick to military ball and it will run. The handguards I bought will need fitting but will look great. I'm happy with it.

Edited by anticus

Yes a low cost alternative to the real deal. they have jumped in price so much in the past ten years for Original MP-40 AND MP-38'S they have now become WALL ART To put on a wall and admire and forbid to dirty and shoot up and handle.And very few today who have paid the big bucks don't really shoot them that much.Most are tube guns or post and pre samples. And very few original Bring back papered ones make it into the shooting range every year, Unless somebody paid a few grand for one and figured if they blew out a barrel or some parts on a matched minty model. They will just sell it for any price they would get for it.{Most want the high price advantage} And don't let them tell you different. If that was not the case you would find many in private hands selling now for what they paid.

But the worm has turned.

So for many today a GSGMP-40 or another copy fills that space.RON K.

attachicon.gif DSCN0491.JPGIt's a fun range gun. Stick to military ball and it will run. The hand guards I bought will need fitting but will look great. I'm happy with it.

I rarely ask questions here how was that bakelite. you did buy. Not that i want any, I normally don't try to fit something if it was not made for it and the current repo stuff is not a snap on. And airsoft won't work its cuts differently...And i understand you want that great look.a guy on the you tube cut thru the rec. to make the long slot on the tube.And he said it was tough metal to cut, yet some said its airsoft metal. I don't believe that one.RON K./

Yes a low cost alternative to the real deal. they have jumped in price so much in the past ten years for Original MP-40 AND MP-38'S they have now become WALL ART To put on a wall and admire and forbid to dirty and shoot up and handle.And very few today who have paid the big bucks don't really shoot them that much.Most are tube guns or post and pre samples. And very few original Bring back papered ones make it into the shooting range every year, Unless somebody paid a few grand for one and figured if they blew out a barrel or some parts on a matched minty model. They will just sell it for any price they would get for it.{Most want the high price advantage} And don't let them tell you different. If that was not the case you would find many in private hands selling now for what they paid.

But the worm has turned.

So for many today a GSGMP-40 or another copy fills that space.RON K.

I have seen these guns at the shows and thought they were pretty well made. German quality is still pretty good as long as it is still made by real, native Germans. I do agree with what you said about most C&R guns being just WALL ART now. It is really sad but can understand it to a degree. The price has made most C&R MP40s collector only guns. I am lucky enough to own a pair and one is mostly wall art because it is very early and all matching but the other is a strict shooter being mismatched and reblued. It really is a shame that most of these guns won't be shot anymore. Plus finding original parts is also a nightmare. I was lucky enough to snag an original late war barrel with shiny bore, a minty early magwell marked cos and a cocking handle over on sturm. Those parts came out of a 50 plus year collection though so those finds are few and far between. The other guy bought everything that was left over in parts.

Yes WALL ART and for the one you shoot still a valuable MP-40 as the years go by less and less around.And parts will soon dry up.Nobody is finding any hidden stash anymore in the world.And for anybody new coming into the market the GSG will be what they get.

Since many can not afford the entry into just one gun let alone a few now.I remember when o.o. Landies was selling them for $5,000.00 each.and mags at $25.00, Now forgotten history.

And when they brought in the pre samples for under $1,500.00.

Yes laws and market destroyed it all.

And can never turn back that page again.

so will be happy with the cheap shoot and not WALL ART....

In old age.

RON K.

Yes WALL ART and for the one you shoot still a valuable MP-40 as the years go by less and less around.And parts will soon dry up.Nobody is finding any hidden stash anymore in the world.And for anybody new coming into the market the GSG will be what they get.

Since many can not afford the entry into just one gun let alone a few now.I remember when o.o. Landies was selling them for $5,000.00 each.and mags at $25.00, Now forgotten history.

And when they brought in the pre samples for under $1,500.00.

Yes laws and market destroyed it all.

And can never turn back that page again.

so will be happy with the cheap shoot and not WALL ART....

In old age.

RON K.

I remember seeing C&R MP40s advertised in the Shotgun News back in the day being advertised for the "crazy" price of like $2000. I didn't have the money and thought that even a minor ticket would keep you out of the game. Those were the days looking back on it now.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The new charging handle is nice and looks more like an original. But, the cheapo bakelite hand-guards won't fit, so will probably paint the factory ones. Some folks have done a really good job of it. if anyone is interested there is a GSG MP40 help page on Facebook that isn't bad. https://www.facebook.com/groups/328603708009532

Edited by anticus

Atlantic Wall charging handle works, but the spring is kind of a booger to install. Instructions say compress spring while driving in pin, or something like that. Much easier said than done. Once reassembled, though, I can't envision the charging handle coming out with anything short of a hand grenade blast, although it's plenty easy to pull out. Go figure. I was a little concerned about the muzzle nut, but it seems to be of quality manufacture, and has a much authentic "look" to it.

When new, it wouldn't eat anything but 115gr, but with a little barrel ramp polishing, I got it to take 124gr with no problem. Finding the proper torx bits was a true challenge. More so than taking the frame apart to polish the barrel ramp. Be sure not to remove too much material, as you would be encroaching into the chamber.

I also had some issues with the stock set. I had to do quite a bit of fitting for the latch button to work, but it works quite nicely now. It's a fun range toy and draws comments every time I go. If you leave the mags loaded, the springs relax in time. Mine are tougher to load without a loading aid than my Beretta, but not by much any more. I have purchased an original loading device and if I manage to make it functional, I'll be sure to pass the word on how I did it.

Karl