BARs & Clyde Barrow.

Sad to say my good Pal, Sheriff Ernie Hudson, that you hear me talk about from time, to time passed away Friday.

He has handled more outlaw guns and fired more outlaw guns and traveled to historical outlaw sites then anyone I know.

Posting some photos of him with holding Clyde Barrow's scattergun and some other stuff of gun interest with him.

and about a 100 more....

OCM

Edited by OCM

Thanks Jim. Yea, Rob there was a bunch of very interesting stories. He was a big Western outlaw guy too. Trips to Deadwood, Tombstone etc.

Good one while looking for Wilbur Underhill's grave and stepping into another that went up to his knee...

Spent a couple hours with Dillinger's sister, an afternoon with Boots Hinton, I think fired and viewed most Dillinger's guns. Really wanted to go back and fire Colt Chopper's Nelson gun, but never made it. Covered the Dillinger Tucson event, like no other, like where Pierpont stayed, hands on, on the guns.

He was a big part of our " Gun Hunters Group" .

Could open every door with his " Golden Tongue "

Wish the SOB would of written a book.

Good memories and great information he provided the outlaw history, that we are sharing now.

To many faded memories anymore to do an accurate book and no patience to sit and write. Was considering a coffee table photo book, but the collection is gone, in a museum now.

Better just to bore you guys & gals on the wonderful forum here.

To many faded memories anymore to do an accurate book and no patience to sit and write. Was considering a coffee table photo book, but the collection is gone, in a museum now.

Better just to bore you guys & gals on the wonderful forum here.

Well, I for one, am honored that you do so...you're a rare font of interesting info, Sandy, and I'm glad you're here with us. ;)

Rob

Yes, it's great for me too, sharing this stuff. ( what I still remember ) There are other historians of the 20s & 30s out there too, Mario, Bill, Chuck, Bart, Ellen,Jack on & on. I'm just the one on the board a lot. Then we got Larry Wack to pull on also.

Sheriff Hudson was well informed on all this stuff .

So, we'll keep at it.

• 1 month later...

Our Pal Hans has opened up some information that was right under my nose. The history on some of Clyde's BARs that he stole. The information was in a FBI file, that was sold commercially under Bonnie & Clyde: The Long Lost FBI Files " The untold Story" . This was put out quite a number of years ago by a guy named Winston Woodward, a committed Bonnie & Clyde researcher.

Winston had sent me a copy, but to be honest, I never spent the time to scan over the ton of files, Hans did bother, and found FBI reference to the Barrow BARs. You might still be able to buy it from Southeast Publications, the business of the late Ken Holmes. I knew Ken, nice guy.

This adds to the story on how far Clyde drove his cars, chronically.

According to these files, and some other information I have, after the Joplin shoot-out, April 13, they traveled down to Vineta, OK and changed cars then meandered all the way up to almost Chicago, West of Joilet to Plattville and stole the BARs and some other guns, then drove all the way across most of central U.S. to Rustin, LA by April 29 and kidnapped a couple and stole their car ( See the 1968 Movie ) . The gal was later interviewed, said she was more afraid their junked up car was going to crash then being with Bonnie & Clyde.

Estimated about a 1100 mile in a 1934 car in about 16 days. Not at all unusual for Barrow. I had calculated the mileage he put on the death car, I think it was like 500 a day.

Many believe that's how he got away for so long.

OCM

Wasn't fast enough for Frank Hamer & Co. I've heard the same , drove like a mad man, which I guess he really was.

Can't imagine how many tires he changed, these old 33- 34 Firestones got you about 100 miles or so on the back roads. The death car had a Goodrich spare on it and the locking hubcap was half gone, really didn't need it.

What a life, driving around, nowhere to go.

OCM

Edited by OCM

I've read where Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd was a darn good driver....he could crank out a 180-degree spinning turn at 45 miles per hour, doubling around on the coppers and coming back at them at a slower pace, passing them by like an unassuming motorist....until they realized it was him, lol.

Rob

Seems to me, Nelson, Floyd or one of them had some dirt track racing in their past. A lot of them , Dillinger, Nelson, Van Meter enjoyed the 1933 Essex Terraplane 8, due to the fact it was light and had one year only ( 1933 Essex) a big straight 8 in it and an automatic clutch. I never particularly cared for the car's looks , rather tinny I guess, but it was fast, lot faster then the V8 Ford.

Edited by OCM

Seems to me, Nelson, Floyd or one of them had some dirt track racing in their past. A lot of them , Dillinger, Nelson, Van Meter enjoyed the 1933 Essex Terraplane 8, due to the fact it was light and had one year only ( 1933 Essex) a big straight 8 in it and an automatic clutch. I never particularly cared for the car's looks , rather tinny I guess, but it was fast, lot faster then the V8 Ford.

Great photo, from when? Who was the occupant?

Cheers

HANS

H- Car is Dillinger's 1933 Essex Terraplane 8 that he escaped with - The Dr. Eye shooting, November 1933. It was found abandoned after the chase.

It has a Belleview rear assessory trunk on it, Extremely rare today, I searched for one for years only found the to bumper protectors at a swap meet in Kansas.

CJL, thanks, I thought it was Nelson. Interesting Rooney played Nelson in the movie but also in a movie as a mechanic/race track driver that was a thief. ( Mike Hammer will know )

OCM