• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 jpw43

jpw43

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

"Quality is its own reward." You guys who have never held Paul's work in your hands have no basis for comparison. You're talking about practicality and utility. His work is the best for those things, but it's also art that transcends mere gunsmithing. Imagine sending him a WH, and getting back a gun that's so good that you feel like you're holding a new Colt '21. Yes, i's that good. If you're sending him a gun, do your research and be very specific in what you ask for. He can make it happen, down to the smallest detail. It's astounding.

You don't have to wait five years for a corrected Blish slots. PK does beautiful gunsmithing, and returns jobs at very reasonable time and cost. It's the large jobs that require the wait. 

Since it appears that PK will be asking for my WH very soon it would be helpful to me to know what I should ask him to do from someone like you who has experience with his work. What would you suggest or where can I access a list of PK's services, I can't find anything on the Diamond K website, or should I just send PK my gun and see what he suggests once he looks it over.  I have only, up until now,  had email correspondence with Paul never a phone conversation.
 All the differences of opinion put forth so far make me wonder if I am making the best decision. I certainly cannot justify the price of a Colt which a lot of owners seem to avoid shooting due to their value and I am not trying to turn the WH into a Colt. 

I certainly did not intend to initiate a debate regarding Paul's work or value thereof.
Good info on this thread. I do not have a WH but was wondering, did you wait 4yrs already or do you send him the gun then wait 4yrs? I can see if someone paid $1600 for a WH many years ago and wants to spend the money now and update it but buying one for $23k and then spending on a PK job is a loser imo. When i was looking for my first tommy i would just skip over the WH adds. Im glad i bought a vintage WW2 thompson it runs flawless.

That was my situation.

Now I have a great running Thompson for around $5500.00.
I already had a repro Richardson 21 barrel, had him change the grip mount to the original size, properly mounted the Lyman sight I had, too.
Runs like a top and so smooth!

My Blish lock slots were in bad shape before, kept jamming badly.

Well worth the wait for the work.

#42 arch stanton

arch stanton

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:33 PM

Send it off to John Andrewski he has worked on hundreds of Thompsons

He just sent back two builds for me and very reasonable on costs and turnaround time was not years workmanship outstanding 

#43 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3312 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:55 PM

Arch,

Please post some pictures, especially of the Blish lock slots in the receiver. Pictures of PK's work on West Hurley's have been posted on the Board. I would like to see some pictures of John Andrewski's work with West Hurley Thompson guns. 

#44 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2459 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

To TD's list I'd add a new grip mount. PK makes these.

What PK charges and what WH guns bring on todays market are just not part of the equation for most owners. I purchased an NOS WH M1 that didn't function reliably. It was well worth it to get on PK's list. The gun came back looking and functioning just as I'd hoped. It was worth it, and I still have under $10K in the gun. Fit and finish are perfect everywhere. All of the WH parts except for the receiver and frame have been replaced with parts from a new condition M1 parts kit. The gun nicely emulates an unissued early Savage M1 TSMG. 

Attached Files

#45 arch stanton

arch stanton

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 330 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

Tom I should of clarified my post about the two guns they are a sterling and brp.

However I did have John work on two Hurley guns 10 or so years ago sorry no pics of the work. And he has re-finished a few military 28s that were not correct. I have seen aborted dewats come back to life from John exceptional work

Later Joe

#46 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:25 PM

Can’t dispute your logic Huggy but my redo wasn’t 4K or even close to that. I supplied all the parts, in essence a parts kit 8-10 years ago I figure. When its all done the only part that is WH is the redone receiver- rest is GI (as I did not have any spare Colt parts).
As mentioned above having to have the control levers checkered like a Colt would add to the cost I would imagine but do not know anything about it other than mine is just as smooth and easy to cock as my Colt which 4 smiths do not believe has ever been fired. Mine came from the Alpine NJ PD.Given how well the PK WH runs I will never shoot the Colt.