Reloading For The 1918 A3

Now that my rifle is working and I'm shooting quite a bit of ammo, I'm gonna start reloading. Any suggestions on supplies. Bullets, powder, etc.

I've got some 150 grn Sierra boat tail hollow point bullets, and IMR 4064 powder. The Hodgdon chart I have says 47 grn minimum and 51 grn maximum for powder weights. Is this what I should be using?

Any and all tips greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dan Hickman

I reload for the Garand , as it has the pressure / burn rate problems . I use 47.0 grs of IMR 4895 behind a 150gr M2 30-06 spec bullet. I tried ( IIRC ) 45.5 to 48.0 or so in 1/2 gr jumps in the BAR , a couple of Garands , and a 03A3 . All worked in all , but you could see the hourglass grouping in all the guns at 47.0 grains . ( Hourglass...the loads above and below were larger the further away from it you went )

You load range is right on for the 4064 . I'd load twenty of each starting at 47 and increase 1/2 grain to 51 . Keep an eye on your groups and look for pressure signs. I'm going to bet you'll settle on 49.5 or so , but we'll see.

Chris

This what I use to duplicate M2 Ball ammunition. The bullet shape of 7.62 NATO and commercial FMJs is different than used with M2 so you will generally end up with a shorter OAL if you seat to the cannelure.

M2 30-06

147 gr FMJ
50.0 gr IMR4895
OAL - Military 3.325 Commercial 3.267 ( DEN 43 - 3.3216) (TW 43 – 3.327)

The DEN and TW measurements I obtained by measuring samples from each lot of ten cartridges.

Dan,

I'd say you're pretty close. Most any load that'll work well in a Garand rifle should do fine in a BAR. Stick with the medium burn rate powders and bullet weights from 147 to 175 grains and you'll be good to go. You'll have to full-length resize your brass and keep an eye on the trim length to insure flawless feeding and good headspacing, but thats just handloading. Good luck!

Chief762

• 1 month later...

Hey Dan

My Ohio BAR works Great with IMR 4064 @ 50.0 grs, with 150 gr Bullets, but I also have reloaded AP 164 gr bullets, 165 gr,168gr,180 gr bullets also. I only use 4064 for this rifle. You must Full Size Die ALL your rounds. My BAR had a new barrel and the reloaded bullets that ran great in my FN-49, M-1 Garand, and 1903A3 Jammed into the chamber and got stuck with about 1/4 inch of the rear of the round sticking out. That was fun clearing the rifle at the range with friends and family watching! I have shot 2686 rounds (yes I kept count) out of my BAR and ALL but 86 of them have been reloaded by myself. I so love shooting This rifle.

Good luck!! Larry

• 3 months later...

I'm back with another question, or another part to my original question.

I've been shooting my rifle with some150 grn. Remington Core-Loct 30-06 ammo. The gun shoots good with it. I've shot some M2 military surplus ammo, and experience failure to eject. I reloaded ten rounds of 150 grn M2 bullets that I got from Wideners, with 47 grn of IMR 4064. All but one round did not eject. In the above post Thumper said he loads IMR 4064 at 50 grn. I really don't want to damage the gun. So what would be the maximum safe powder charge for the rifle?

I guess my next step would be to load a few rounds at .5 increments until I get to the point it will function reliably.

Thanks for any help.

If you are smart and careful you will not be able to damage it . It does not have the Garand style bent op-rod , it is straight and strong. If your loads are not operating it properly you can up the powder charge or open the gas port a notch . Either will do. As long as there is not a problem outside of reasonable functioning , if your bolt speed is enough to work the gun without pounding it to death , you will not break something if your load is anywhere within reason. If you do feel the load is too hot , just turn it down a notch.

Chris

I loaded 2rounds each, 47.5 grn, 48, 48.5, 49, 49.5. It didn't cycle until I got to the 49 grn. Had a hiccup on the 49.5 and messed up the second round. All were shot with the regulator on the middle setting. Next I will try some 49grn and try different gas gas setting with each.

The "real" BARS were set up to function in the smallest port when clean and to open up as the gun got dirty . The OOW semis usually need the 2nd setting when new and clean . This is great for us as it allows us to open up a setting for weak loads or down a port if all we can get are 180 grain moose loads . After a few thousand rounds of break-in time you'll find the gun works with M2 ball on the first port ala GI . We can still get a GI adjuster and drill the ports to a smaller - than- OOW size to return to the center port being " right " .

Chris

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yes. I worked up some step up loads, starting at 47.4 grn up too 50 grn. The 49-49.5 worked the best. I used IMR 4064 and 150 grn ball. Got a chance to shoot at 300 yrd with it. Was surprised I could hit torso sized steel with open sites. I love this gun! Edited by Dan Hickman

• 2 months later...

47.5 gr of IMR 4895, 172 gr btsp match,68 LC match brass...works well in OOW semi and M/R 1918 and NESA 1918A2.. bought 10K lots including the pulled down powder during the clintanista regime.. :happy: