Colt Wood

Is early Colt wood grain and color distinguishable from later war production wood?

Hi Sgt.,

Generally the quality of the Colt walnut wood is better than late war examples. Some early war Savage stocks are pretty nice, though. The Colt rear grips are distinguishable from their WWII counterparts. Do you have some wood you are questioning as authentic?

Hi Gi Jive--

Some commented that my recently purchased Savage may have been dressed up with Colt wood. I posted some blurry photos of it sometimes back. As soon as I get the paperwork, which should be a few more months, I'll get some better closeups and post them.

I visited my baby some months ago and it sure is pretty. I just wondered if there as a definitive test for determining Colt wood. I've reposted the blurry photo below.

http://home.ntelos.net/~ralfdog/ThompsonPix/savag28a1-1.JPG

Sgt,

I was one of the ones that commented that your gun might have had a Colt grip. I can't remember now whether it was the front vertical grip or the rear grip. That was based on the shape, not the grain or texture.

The buttstock should have a nickel catch if it is a Colt and the buut plate and stock will be numbered. One other thing, it will have an upside down small anchor logo stamped in the front below the attaching metal slide.

Send some pictures when you get it, we'll figure it out for you.