Dillinger's " manhood " an Urban Legend

Rain stopped in this part of the country and I had the garages open and all , doing the Honey-do list. A jogger stopped by to admire the 1933 Buick 90 Seven Passenger Sedan I had parked out front. Has some Dillinger stuff in the rear seat for fun props-

He went on to tell me that Dillinger's " Dong", as Helmer puts it, is in a pickled jar in the Smithsonian Medical Museum in Washington DC. This has to be the 800th time I've been told or asked about this.

Why there ? Because it was/is of gigantic proportions. I've heard many different sizes, described in inches.

I had a college roommate from Boston that even said he saw ( sar in Eastern language ) it.

An Urban legend I'm sure Mr. Dillinger would of been very proud of. Thru the years I've kidding his Nephew about that, great laughs-

OCM

HaaaaHaaaaa- Plaster cast...

I think Helmer did, as a joke, maybe Rick Mattix- really. Helmer also wrote an article on this in Playboy- The Search for Dillinger's Dong.

This is a old story from the 30s, used to be very popular . Started with tour bus drivers looking for more business. Great for joking thru the years, as you can imagine.

Well....JD did have a way with the women; of course, that could have been for his fat wallet, and not his...dong. ;)

Rob

that's usually how it works.

NO COOL POINTS to the first guy that does an image search for "Dillinger's Dong" . :D

Unfortunately, I've talked to two people that viewed the body, rather keep the legend alive. Way more fun.

Wonder how many people approached Billie Frechette about this subject, after the legend started. She did quite a few crime shows, maybe with question & answers. Three fingers of Jack, I'd of asked.

OCM

Naw. Wasn't in the Smithsonian. It was in the Medical Museum that (used to be?) is housed in Walter Reed Medical Center! Didn't see any Dillinger body parts, but they had the lower intestines of a guy who suffered constipation for something like six months. Talk about being "full of it!" LOL

Chewing gum legend- After JD was arrested in Tucson, a local café owner noticed that one of his patrons was Dillinger & Billie Frechette. He would always sit at the same table facing out. Before the meal he or she would stick their chewing gum under the table, a rather normal thing then. So after his arrest the owner took all the gum from under the table and placed it in a glass jar. No idea whose used gum was who's but in the jar anyway.

The jar eventually went to the university there and was put on display in the Chemistry building.

I toured the building and the displays, asked one of the ladies sweeping the floor if she knew. Basically I found nothing and the gal thought I was nuts. Price of being a crazy historian I guess.

There is always a story ( legend) about his brain being stolen. The Dillinger family was going to sue Northwestern University over this one.

OCM

• Upvote 1

Only thing left of John, is a couple eyelash hairs in private collections and Indianapolis dirt. However, the famous outlaw brain may exist in Chicago.

A Dentist named Dr. Brayne used to own it, so the story goes. Northwestern University to Nebraska then back to Chicago. ?

I think it was this photo that caused the speculation.

But it was his arm under the sheet, not his manhood.

Depp told Rolling Stone magazine in an interview published in January 2008 that he had heard Dillinger was extremely well-endowed in a masculine kind of way.

Here’s Depp’s take on the subject, as quoted in Rolling Stone:

“There’s some very famous photographs of Dillinger on the morgue slab, and there’s one particular angle, with the sheet over him, and it’s (his penis), like, 25 inches, man. The speculation was that he was in the wrong racket. But you read further, and it was a crank on the other side that the sheet had been draped over, making it look like he was packing, you know, Mr. Ed’s shotgun.”

So there you have it, from the horse’s mouth, so to speak. And here’s the photo Depp was talking about. Sorry to make you wait so long.

http://blogue.canoe-inc.com/mediam/morgue.bestpic.jpg

Edited by jpw43

I think it was Helmer that was promoting the morgue shot, for Dillinger's sake. Here is a better shot without the draped sheet, different gurney I think, without the large position handle.

Bill had the eyelash hair in a little shrine he made- He had the hairs, 4 I think, mounted in the little cases as you saw.

I had one, Neal Trickle, a guy in Chicago and Bill.

Here is a photo of it in my collection, center, top shelf- Card reads Dillinger's Hair. In a collection this size, it fits in, but to show it off individually, most think you are a bit over the top-

OCM

SHOW GIRLS.jpg

Case wooden gun.JPG

Dillinger Sr was attempting to sue the Cook County somebody, over the lost brain. I think it was the funeral home owner in Mooresville, Mr. Harvey, that informed the family the brain was missing. With all the circus going on over the Dillinger killing, I guess the family decided not to pursue. They had offers for his body etc.

Story I got ( been awhile), due to all the hype, the brain ( or part ?) was " shelved" at the Northwestern University histology ( or such ) dept. During a remodel of the dept, the old brain was given to a friend of one of the profs there, who lived in Kearney ( I think ) Nebr. He died and it went to the Chicago dentist, Dr. Bryane. I did attempt to trace some of this down years ago with no results, just the verbal story.

Same with the other appendage , just verbal stories about it. Helmer actually called the medical facility in DC and the lady said no, but was a poplular question they used to get.

I don't care what anyone says, I believe the urban legend is true. You can't go around robbing banks with a Thompson Submachine Gun, driving the fast 1933 Essex Terraplane 8 and having beautiful Billie Frechette as your gal, without some assistance.

Just because he carried some big guns doesn't mean he had a big tool, just another myth. He would probably be laughing his ass off if he heard some of these stories. We tend to glamorize some of the infamous, but when it comes down to it, they were just ordinary people. He couldn't have been too bright whatever the size of his brain either because this is what he ended up looking like at a very young age.

Mike hammer

Dillinger dead.jpg

Dillinger dead 1.jpg

1933-1934 were interesting years for American history. A lot of legends came out of those years, good & bad. Clyde & Bonnie probably the most.

Strange group.

Some place I heard that Dillinger was not a particularly good marksman and that he accidentally killed a cop. Doubt he was sort of a sociopath like Bonnie and Clyde or some of the others. More a Willie Sutton -- anyone remember him? -- type of guy, maybe. Fast cars, fast women, easy money. What else can you ask for? LOL (A BIG weapon?!?)

Are you saying it's in the Thompson accessory package?!?

Darryl