Was there a Homer Van Meter's last weapons cache?

Does anyone know if the St. Paul police ever found/described a weapons cache for Homer after he was dead? I know he was carrying a handgun when he was ambushed but you would think he was living somewhere in St. Paul and had other guns there? When they searched his car after the Lincoln Court shootout in March of 1934, there were several weapons found including a Thompson and a .351 Winchester. He surely must have obtained more guns by his death in August of that year? Thanks!

John

I certainly don't know, don't think I've ever heard that interesting question before. I have heard of Landlords keeping souvenirs after they found out their dead tenet was a criminal. Like a final payment or cleaning fee I guess. Also wasn't unheard of that a police officer was awarded items or picked up small " souvenirs" at crime sites. I've procured some collectables this way from retired officers.

Thank you for replying - if you don't know then I don't know who would? Probably will need to search St. Paul newspapers from the day he died and after for a few days to see if it's ever mention?

I had talked to Bill Helmer Friday, thought to ask him too- Nothing there either.

Possible shot for you is Paul Macabee who wrote "Dillinger Slept Here" - He had a huge research file on St Paul and the Dillinger era. I think he donated it to the library there for public use- That might be your ticket. I haven't talked to Paul in years.

The South St Paul ( Sheriff or PD ) that have the Karpis Thompson, might be a led too.

Keep us/me posted what you find. I know Nelson and Van were in a pissing match at the time, if that adds anything to your search.

This will maybe be hard as Van Meter was hiding everywhere in St Paul after the Dillinger killing.

Mickey's family probably has a nice Lebman mini Colt statched in the bedroom closet- !!!!!

OCM

Dary Matera's book has the .351 rifle found in Van Meter's car as #46190. I'm finding conflicting information about the date of manufacture for that serial number - a couple of sources, including the actual Winchester Arms site, have 1938. One has 1932 and one has 1934. Does anyone have the correct data? Thanks!

Edited by levallois

46190 was manufactured in 1934. total that year 184 made.

Sandy,

Could you please tell me here you found that information. Thanks!

John

The Forgotten Winchesters. A History of the models 1905,1907, and 1910 Self Loading Rifles by John Henwood

Dang!! I've got to get a copy of that book. I just can't bring myself to pay the price of a nice rifle for it.

I can always look up stuff for free. Save your money for ammo.

Thanks Sandy.

• 4 months later...

CJL has a copy too and he's my go-to guy on the 07s if you need some technical stuff answered.