Lewis Gun - Hairline crack in rear of barrel jacket

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hatrick

hatrick

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

I just noticed a hairline crack in the middle of the "8" on the barrel jacket. It may have always been there and I never noticed it. I've always thought that was a potential weak spot. Do you think I should be concerned?

Thanks,
Eric

Attached Files

#2 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

• Regular Group
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

was gun ever a dewat and someone tried beating on it to get it apart? just sayn

#3 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 816 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

There appears also to be one center of the web between the two holes. Easy to weld them, but whatever stresses caused them will still be in effect. If welded relieving the holes slightly on the ID would probably keep it from happening again.
There really are no side stresses on that frame.

#4 hatrick

hatrick

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

Robert, thanks for the reply... funny as I was going to email you about this later today.

The only crack is as you notes between the two holes. Is it possibly from over tightening or too loose of a muzzle cone? I did notice that the muzzle cone had loosened slightly last time I fired the gun although the barrel was still super tight in the aluminum radiator. I definitely want to know what possibly caused it so I can make sure it doesn’t get worse. The gun runs great and is in overall really nice shape.

The crack tight right now so I wonder if it is something I should just keep an eye on for now and only have you fix if it gets worse.

Thanks so much for the help.

Also, the gun is not a dewat. It is one of the Irish guns.

#5 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

There's really no stress in that area, so I wouldn't be too concerned and I'd leave it be, since there is zero benefit to "fixing" it.   

It may not be a dewat now, but it was at one time, but that's likely not relevant to this area of the gun.  HTH