• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2504 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

Have not seen this one, but I think also may have been a book cover.
If the photo is correct this would be 1941. So these are M1928A1's with
vertical foregrips?

Bob

Attached Files

#2 bug

bug

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1637 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, metalworking, woodworking, photography.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

They are likely 1928s in Brit hands.

#3 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:06 AM

Have not seen this one, but I think also may have been a book cover.
If the photo is correct this would be 1941. So these are M1928A1's with
vertical foregrips?

Bob

Bob,

I have a copy of that photo on file with the caption "Australian 9 Division Tobruk 08.09.41".

In my collection, I have a deactivated 1928, with 'Tommy Gun' stamped on the top of the receiver, which I believe would have been part of the British War offices 5th consignment of Thompsons, to be shipped to Britain in 1941. 

This order of 50,000 ‘MODEL OF 1928’ guns was placed just before the introduction of the U.S. Lend Lease Program in March 1941.So Savage was still using an early roll stamp for the ‘MODEL OF 1928’ markings at the time.  However, under the Lend Lease Act, the US government assumed ownership of the guns that were supplied to foreign armed forces, and the Act stated that the guns had to be marked as U.S. Property.  So, the "US" and "A1" were retrospectively added by hand stamping them to the 42,000 guns, (including my example), from this order. So these would have been the first 1928A1's to have been issued to the British and Commonwealth forces.

(Information obtained from Tom Davis's book, 'Great Britain - The Tommy Gun Story').

The 9th Division had initially deployed to Britain in 1940 to defend against the expected German invasion, and was then deployed to Libya in March 1941, reaching Tobruk in April and being withdrawn from Tobruk in Sept. & Oct. 1941. So,  I believe the 9th Division would have been issued with Model of 1928 Thompsons.

Stay safe

Richard