Colt Monitor on "Bonnie and Clyde" on History Channel Preview

I actually talked to a Barrow family member today, Clyde's nephew, and had an email from another yesterday-Neither had anything to do with the movie as consultants etc.

Usually historians pick these movies apart, no reason to anymore, at least for me, it's a movie not a history lesson. I guess there is a couple more movies on Clyde & Bonnie, hoping to be produced.

Cars & guns is a enough for me these days.

Colt monitor, no, Hamer had one at the ambush, the other side of the law, the good side. Some even debate this.

OCM

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one disappointed in "Bonnie And Clyde"? I mean they got some of the facts right, and some of the guns right. But it seemed as if they took some of the known incidents and put them in a sack and shook them up. Then they put them on film in the order they pulled them out. And any show on those two that ignores the Joplin shootout??? :blush:

It just seems funny to change things, omit things, and add things when the real story would be interesting and dramatic enough just as it happened.

Edited by TAS1921AC

Am I the only one disappointed in "Bonnie And Clyde"? I mean they got some of the facts right, and some of the guns right. But it seemed as if they took some of the known incidents and put them in a sack and shook them up. Then they put them on film in the order they pulled them out. And any show on those two that ignores the Joplin shootout??? :blush:

It just seems funny to change things, omit things, and add things when the real story would be interesting and dramatic enough just as it happened.

Tom,

I agree 100%

If they intended to make a movie about sex and violence I'd give the movie an "A". If the movie was supposed to be historically accurate I'd give it a "D-".

In my opinion the Beatty version was closer to what I've read, with the exception of using Thompsons instead of BAR's.

One of my favorite gangster movies is the St Valentines massacre with Jason Robards. It attempted to be accurate and I liked that.

This B&C movie was a big disappointment, but I guess I didn't expect much.

Jim C

I'd say you are on the button there, Jim.

The monitor- There's a place you can buy reproduction monitor furniture and even a compensator. I'd bet these R80s were OOW BARs for the movie. ( ?) I didn't pay enough attention to the trigger/frame when Hamer shot it at the end.

Since the old days of Sunday night" Bonanza" followed by Sunday Night at the Movies is long gone ( old farts will remember this) it was worthwhile entertainment, especially when it's 10 below up here in God's country.

OCM

Watched it last night( the death car scene ) sure looked like a Monitor that William Hurt used, looked new too. BTW, Hurt did a great job interpreting Hamer, IMHO. Yes he did keep mementos of the notorious pair, common to do that in those days.

Edited by OCM

The scenery and cars were nice,and Hamer actually had a Remington Model 8 in one scene.

The reason they gave Hamer for going after B&C was so he could auction off their stuff, which I thought was petty. I suspect if that were actually the case the documentation on everything would have been irrefutable and we would have much to discover and discuss...

Regards,

Tecolote

You know how it is today, society/t.v./movies are obsessed with sex, youth, and money, not historical accuracy--as a former English and History teacher, I would show parts of films and ask the students to write essays comparing and contrasting reality with the films (for example Disney's Pocahontas versus real Pocahontas). Unfortunately, youth sees images and films and assume they are all factual. I watched 1967 St. Valentine's for the first time last night (half of it, anyway) and liked how it was narrated and told of the birth and death dates of the characters involved. It was cool to see a young "Grandpa" from the new 80s show, the Goldbergs, too.

ps I was waiting and waiting and waiting for Clyde to steal a V-8 Ford (his car of choice, even according to the film), through '32-'33, but didn't steal one 'til the death car. They had him driving Model A's, sheesh. He would've been better off in a stovetop 6cyl '31-'32 Chevrolet which outsold the Fords in '31-'32, since Ford V-8's didn't come out til Fall of '32.

ps I was waiting and waiting and waiting for Clyde to steal a V-8 Ford (his car of choice, even according to the film), through '32-'33, but didn't steal one 'til the death car. They had him driving Model A's, sheesh. He would've been better off in a stovetop 6cyl '31-'32 Chevrolet which outsold the Fords in '31-'32, since Ford V-8's didn't come out til Fall of '32.

Model As are commonly used in the gangster movies, plentiful and relatively inexpensive. Movies will lease cars from car clubs or have lists of people with cars willing to use in movies. model As are very plentiful. Clyde almost always drove a flathead Ford . 3& 5 window coupes, which are rare as hell now, even the extremely rare 32 B-400 convertible sedan they had in Joplin. They did mimic that in the beginning, which was good. Buck was into Marmons. Edited by OCM

I accept they make historical changes to films, but they actually said in the film, he steals V-8's, but he only drives one of them that I saw-the "death car". i agree the '32-'33 cars are rare, but seems like a huge detail they should get right, I know one B-400 in CO and local guy's got a '32 5 window with a rumble seat that he bought for 4k in 1984-was all original, and restored it as such. likely a 50k car (I asked him to give me first right of refusal) I did see something that looked like a B-400 in the film, but they should have used it or a kit for their famous photo shoot since so many know those pictures.