Bm59 Barrel Configuration...new Barrel Run...how Do You Want It?

ordmm

OK,,,,If and when a run was to be done on BM59 replacement barrels, have some questions on configuration. (now being on top of "when" not "if")

Am trying to set it up so that if you have some BM59 parts laying around you would be able to do a build with this barrel at an affordable price. And being able to use surplus BM gas cylinders and gas parts and BM op-rods. Of course this is for the short BM59/62/69 configuration. NOT for the 1/2 inch short "E" model.

Here's the way it is shaping up:

NO milling cuts on both side of barrel below the handguard grooves,,,,will be standard Garand configuration in this area.

NO bullet guide cuts at chamber entry (kind of like the M4 cuts on AR's)

Length will be BM59 interchangeable...17 1/2 inches.

Gas port will be BM59 spec.

Gas cylinder lock thread will be same as standard Garand...(BM59 appear to be a bit longer thread)

Now here's the big question....Lower band configuration. Cost wise will probably go with standard lower band retention...pinned on. Cost on doing BM lower bands with the grooves and spring clip would be a killer. But need to know about lower band position. Have been told by some that band could be positioned 1/2 to rear of standard location. Would like any input on this.

Any other thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Greg,

I measured my stash of BM59 and tanker barrels. I have one standard bm59 barrel PB 1964 that came on my select-fire BM59. It measures 17 3/4" from tip to tip, not 17 1/2". I also have 2 Silma 1971 barrels. One has the correct muzzle length for the quick-detach tri-comp just shy of 18 7/16" tip to tip, and the other has the 5 rings milled into the muzzle end with an overall length of 19 1/4" tip to tip.

My tanker barrels came from SA inc. and Sarco. The length from the shoulder that stops the lower band to the shoulder that contacts the receiver face is 9 7/16" on my Sarco .308 tanker and my SA inc. 30-06 tanker barrels, as well as 2 of my 3 BM59 barrels. (The 19 1/4" Silma barrel measures 9 3/8" from shoulder to shoulder.)

The distance from the center of the gas port hole to the shoulder that contacts the receiver face is 15 1/4" on 2 of my BM59 barrels and 15 3/16" on my 5 ring Silma bm59 barrel.

I have 4 BM59 oprods. 2 measure 10 25/32" from the piston face to receiver contact face and the other 2 measure 10 27/32" from the piston face to the receiver contact face.

I am assuming the "1/2" you mention is 1/2 inch. Going 1/2" further back would allow use of the shortened E model handguards not standard garand handguards.

The guys with Berben imports need to measure the distance from the receiver face to the gas port hole to see if they are at 15 1/4". Locating the gas port and gas cylinder threads would make a difference for some op rods falling out of the gas cylinder.

A standard garand lower band would work and the surface could be modified by the owner for the BM59 band with some judicious tinkering.

Doug

Doug, Thank you for the outstanding info! Much appreciated.

Also have noted slight differances on the PB parts. Your observation the lower band is kinda what I figured....GI spec, gunsmith could alter if needed. Will drag out the Berban tonight and take some real close measurements.

Thanks!

Greg

Glad to help out Greg. I bought some of your BM59 parts off of Gunbroker recently. I emailed you at that time trying to find out if you have or can make the front magazine catch assembly retaining pin. (It is a hollow pin)

2.5 cm long, 8mm outer diameter, 6mm inner diameter. It looks like the pin is solid on the BM62's so they don't take a selector shaft.

You can send me a PM if you don't want to answer here.

Thanks,

Doug

Greg are you going to offer a lower band that looks like a BM59 band that fits your BM59 barrel ?

If so and it does not interfere with the op rod function it will be a winner no matter how it is attached.

I measure on my barrel 1971 marked Silma from the face of the receiver to the beginning of the lower band boss on the barrel is about 9 1/2 " to 10 1/4" to the end . The boss area is about 3/4" in length eventhough not all of it is used.

A new in the wrap Criterion Garand barrel measures 9 1/2 to 10 " from the face of the receiver to the beginning and end of the boss area for the lower band.

Just for giggles I attempted to slide a BM59 band on the new Garand barrel and it would not attemp to go , so it appears that the OD of a Garand barrel is slightly larger in this area.The boss area on a standard Garand barrel is about 1/2" in length.

My gas port is 15 1/4 " from the hole to the face of the receiver. I had mine cut down from whatever a standard length is to 17".

Hope this helps.....

Edited by mikebaker1129

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the input, and the interest.

Here's where we are at with doing a "clone" barrel for the BM59-62-69.

We are in the process of cutting a standard Garand barrel to use as a pattern.

At this point it will not have the milled lightening cuts at the rear of the barrel. It will probably use a lower band that will appear similiar to the BM59 lower band, but will be retained by a pin. Actually think we will use the type of lower band that is seen on some Santa Fe rifles. Could repro the BM lower band, but the funky clip that holds it would make the proposition too expensive.

The big issue is getting a barrel mfr to do what in the industry is a small run. It looks like we have a place to do them. In any event we will do a run of 200 or so.

I think we may have barrels to sell in something like 3 to 5 months.

In the meantime remember Tim Shufflin can do a BM spec build. He did one for me a couple months ago and the total turn around time on a complete rifle was 14 days!

Time slips by real fast on making parts........have gotten to figuring at least twice the time that is quoted from whoever is machining the parts----if they say 90 days, figure 6 months!

Anyway, that's about it.

Greg

WWW.STANDARDPARTSLLC.COM

I'am also new, Looking to buy a BM59, the one I'm looking at looks just like the one in above post, also has a carrying handle. With the rifle comes 2 mags, a poster, an paratrooper stock. My ? is who made it, have read some other blogs, but still not sure. Was it Springfield, Reese, or Beretta. The leftside of receiver has Springfield arm, an heel has Beretta, Serial # 00184 I think. Owner told it's 1of 200 prototypes, I don't think so after reading blogs in here. Also how can I tell if it's a rewield? Owner wants $2,700 for it. I carryed a auto M14 in nam, but like the looks of the BM59. Thanks for any help Rick

My select-fire BM59 has Springfield Armory on the side of the receiver and P.Beretta, Gardone Italia on the heel. The serial number starts with X. In 2006 or 2007, I started seeing semi BM 59's with the same markings and again serial numbers starting with an X. At the time they were $1600 to $1700. I believe these were assembled by Reese in the early 2000's with receivers that were held back to build select-fires. Look carefully at the bore as many of the barrels were reparked to hide corrosion damage. I didn't buy a BM59 until 1997. Maybe SA Inc. built up some of their first semi-BM59s with Beretta marked receivers (since you say the serial # doesn't start with X).

If I did not have a semi-BM59 with the heel marked Springfield Armory, I would probably cough up the money for a Gardone IT marked one like the one you are looking at. Lock the magazine into the receiver a few times and you will be hooked comparing it to an M14. You say it has a carry handle, is the paratrooper stock correct and not made up of spare and new(non-PB) parts? A real paracadutisti stock is $500 to $600 alone.

Doug

Thanks for the reply. I didn't see the paratrooper stock he didn't have at his store, an don't rememeber if serial # had x on it, I might go look at it again this week The carrying handle was metal with wood handle. What does true Paratrooper stock have on it, didn't they have plastic pistol grip? Rick

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I think that BM-59 'clone' barrels should be as factory built. As for the lower band and clip. I can obtain them from Italy as 'NOS' items so a 'factory' barrel would suit me... If anyone has an interest I can obtain around 30+ of the lower band and clip assemblies but would need to make a group buy to get them.

Any interest contact me 'off list'

vtuff59795@aol.com

Cheers,

Vic

Can anyone address the requirements for a barrel compatible with the quick detach paratrooper tricompensator? I've spent the last few months pulling together parts for a semiauto build on a Garand receiver and have recently acquired a paracadutisti tricomp. It is my understanding that the length of the paratrooper barrel from the gasport forward to the crown is longer than that of a standard BM59 barrel. Can someone confirm this for me? If this is the case, what are my barrel options?

If you go back to the top of this thread, you will find a bunch of measurements I did for Greg(ordmm)who is planning the barrel run. From what Greg said in another post, Tim can modify a full length Garand barrel to the BM59 dimensions.

Doug

Jared, the barrel with the detachable para tri comp is longer than a BM62 barrel ,which is (17").

The Beretta manuel states 18.41" for the Para model,but the picture shows the barrel about 1/2" or so, past the end of the para gas lock. As long as your barrel is 17 7/8 " long or more you should not have a problem.

Which barrel are you using for your build?

Thanks Doug, I found the dimensions you were referring to. Mike, I have not made a final barrel decision yet but I am leaning toward a Criterion only because they are readily available and I have been happy with their performance in the past on Garands. I plan on using a genuine BM59 lower band on this build but I'm not sure if the contour on a Criterion will allow for that. Can you recommend something better? I'd love to get my hands on a surplus barrel but I'm not holding my breath for that...

Thanks,

Jared

Hello Jared,

You're welcome and welcome to the only BM59 board (besides weaponsguild builds) I know of. If the Criterion barrel has the same 0.725 diameter sleeve (I think Mike uses the term "boss")for the lower band, you can use a BM59 band if you are talented with a bench grinder,a dremel, and needle files.

If you have a locking, variable-speed drill press, some ar-15 barrel blocks,and want to cough up the $ for a 1/8" end mill, you can do a prettier job of it.

Doug