Lanchester question

Can you post a photo of the marking? Is it definitely a wartime code? There were only 4 assembly plants, Sterling with code S109 and M619, Boss with S156 and Greener with M94.

There were contractors providing parts but I think the tube was produced at the plants rather than by a sub contractor.

various codes were used on certain parts. I see an S203 on mine on the trigger housing, S271 on the bayonet lug, S95 on the front lug/sight, various codes on the mag housing in including the BOSS marking, and a mfr of MECO just in front of the trigger on the tube itself. Also an MG2657 on the front site band. I don't think it was original to the gun though?

MG2657 is a post war British number so your gun was probably still in British service in to the 50s and 60s.

MECO is the Mills Equipment COmpany, an unusual maker mark to find on a steel part as they made webbing.

BOSS is a scarce manufacture, I have one myself, I think they only made about 3 to 4000 guns in total.

From the above comments.

S203 Hampton Timber Co, Castle House, Hampton, Middlesex.

S230 Albert Mann's Engineering , Hornchurch Rd, Romford, Essex.

S271 S.L.M. Aircraft Components, 512-522 Streatham High Road, SW16, London

S95 G. D. Peters & Co, Windsor Works, Slough, Bucks.

Occasionally, some of these company's are still in existence. Also,if you have the exact address and the building is still there and the street/road numbers have not changed you may be able to see the building with, Google Street View.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Gentlemen, thank you as well. A lot of the numbers are pretty obscure until you start hunting for them and the thread was a great motivation to do so. M3bobby, I sent you a PM, but I'll throw it out here.....anyone know of any source for the instructions on setting up, loading, and winding Bren MK1 drums? Thank you!

Many thanks. May I ask where you found this information?

Matt

A book by Ian Skennerton. British Small Arms of World War 2.

Well worth getting as it has lots of info on makers and contracts for British small arms in WW2, taken from the big contract ledgers in the National Archives in London.

Regards

AlanD

Sydney