COLT Parts Values Dec 2017

So hopefully we have enough info so now a "Colt Parts Menu Price List Selling Value 2017/2018" can be published and after the first few sales or auction's or somebody dumps a few hidden part stashes it will all go back to square one and become meaningless.

And we will have a few more forum posts asking the same question's all over again.

99.9% of the public can care less about Colt parts or value. And if was ever brought up to the commie liberal A-holes. they would melt it all down for good.

So we will stay in the safe space here, Discussing the prices of MP-40'S who has a bigger Johnson rifle will 30.06 take on 8mm? Will a winding key fit both a C-Drum and a L Drum? Why did they find sand infested empty 50 round drums on the beaches of Guadalcanal? And if the Colt you own has a military Bolt to replace it is that worth $2,000.00, However if you have a Colt Bolt in the Colt already, Does it make a spare worth only $900.00

WAIT WAIT did I read that right. It is worth more to the buyer not the seller depending on the situation at hand.. what a concept.

so we have a few price sheets. And my raging input ha ha can we move on to the more important thing of who in the heck is going to pay $10 grand for a chopped up non working gun.Sure it makes a great display, But a sad testament to how far we have not moved.

That we have to chop dice and destroy..And cannot keep the History alive in its fullest form as a complete gun.To satisfy the GOV. Beast..If only some of the forum time was spent changing those laws.

But heck we would not have anything to complain or post about would we.

Enjoy the History.

Colt21A Ron

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unmarked, other than the up arrows

Edited by giantpanda4
  • Upvote 1

Im a newbie when it comes to thompsons, but ive been studying them as much as i can for the past year.

Is there anyway to tell a difference between early savage and commerical savage

Ive been trying to read tracie hills book, but its just to overwhelming with information. So now im reading american thunder with is more higher level view of thompsons and allows to to understand thompsons better.

A appreciate all the help and info on the forum, hopefully one i will become a jedi master of thompson information.

There is an idea floating around that savage commercial guns have a higher fit and finish than other early Thompsons, or lots of nickel steel parts, or colt parts, but I've not seen this.

Based on the smattering of commercial guns I've seen, it looks to me like they just plucked some guns out of the packing crates and sold them to the police.

I don't think the current "collector narrative" on Savage Commercials is very accurate or complete, due to a lack of guns to examine.

Gun collectors will always tend to believe the story that is most interesting. If you come up with a really nifty gun theory, it can become the official story without any proof.

The best thing to do is do an FOIA inquiry on the gun. If it's a commercial it will have a 1940 NFA registration.

Edited by buzz

No offense, but....

1. A price list older than about 12 months is of questionable value. A 10 year old list is prehistoric.

2. Whenever there is a thread on pricing, a lot of people will wax philosophic about supply and demand and say stuff like "it's worth whatever you're willing to pay."

Or they will lament how "greedy sellers have ruined the hobby". (Apparently the sellers are holding a gun to the buyer's heads and making them pay?)

But there is actually a range of typical selling prices for most stuff. Note the words "range" and "typical."

The more common the item is, the more sales data there is. A really rare item can be hard to price.

Colt parts are rare, but surely they are not so rare that no general pricing can be guessed at.

Try going on gunbroker and looking at completed auctions with bids, that actually resulted in a sale.

Edited by buzz

From what I've seen barrels and actuators are the only things that go bad and those would be worth substantial money to the right buyer. The most common problem I've seen are ringed barrels on several guns where reloads were used. I've seen a couple broken ears. There are guns with non colt butt stocks, but most have been matched back up. To me the rest of the parts are about worthless/ no more value than 28 parts since none of them ever break. So let the hoarders hoard away. There will be more Colt parts coming in as the EU tightens their grip and implements further bans on the few licensed collectors left. There are some older guys that have stashes that will be in their estate sales coming up!

Ron, I have the biggest Johnson .358 Winchester. haha!

Course in collecting, always assume there's someone out there with a bigger one.

358 WINNY that's a good one the worse I did was taking a old H&H 375 Weatherby I traded into back in the 70's to the old Oak Lawn gun shop basement range for long rifles. Fired off the first round and sacred everybody else off. Don't know what it did to the back stop. And another shooter was firing 45.70 he wanted a shot I said go ahead. he fired off one round and said no thanks I am going back to my 45.70 and left a buck on the bench I said you dropped buck. he said nope I just wanted to pay you for the bullet. we all laughed and went for coffee. Next biggest one was a Custom African pre-70 WInchester in 458 set up with scope for Africa hunt. that my Attorney never went on. Still new in box. so he sold it to me. and like a yutz took it to the Wheaton gun show in Il. and sold it around 92 for $1500 buck's..With $500 worth of ammo. A sale I still regret today.

Yeah my Big boy days are over.down to a Ruger REDHAWK SNUBBY IN 44 MAGNUM.

Colt 21A Ron

Stay warm in that Wisconsin cold.

Oh,

I thought you meant 1941 Johnson rifles? The .358 is a barrel I have in a set of several calibers for the 1941, but might even feed in my LMG's?

When you get into the big bores, I've still got 4 rifles chambered in 20x138b up on the shelf. Good for ground blinds, but much too big for tree stands? Maybe if I cut down the Solothurn barrel to 16"?

Data point approaching. Colt lower up on Gunbroker. Grip is not COLT. Everything else is.

We'll see what the fair market does this close to Christmas.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/727620332

This is the one from the REWAT Savage by 1Armybrat. Since the numbers are hammered out, someone who has a mismatched lower may could have this redone by PK to replace whatever they have.

At least we should get a data point on recent sales.

Will also start a new post in case folks aren't looking at this any longer.

Cheers

Sandman1957

This thread doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me.

The commentary doesn't jibe up with my experiences of buying and selling gun stuff. Or buying and selling anything at all.

Some guns and gun parts are so rare that the only way to figure out what it's worth is to actually offer it up for sale in an auction and see what happens.

If you insist on getting tip top price for the item, you have to put some work into it and it could take a few auction cycles to figure out what people will pay for it.

But Colt parts come up for sale fairly often. There is a regular "market" for Colt parts, it's a thin, specialized market but it exists. So there is some recent cost data that you can use.

I sold a handful of rusty Colt XX mags on gunbroker, and it did not take me long to come up with a fair price.

The mags all sold after about a month of dickering with a questions and buyer's offers, so I figure I got the top retail price for them at the time.

The people who bought the mags off of me were not "clowns". There was no clown aspect to the event.

It was just a normal friendly hobby transaction, the buyers went away happy and the seller went away happy. It's called "capitalism."

Edited by buzz

That's true, mags are probably the most common colt part for sale. I guess. But there is enough Colt stuff trading hands to at least make a decent guess at pricing this parts kit.

Or failing that, put it on gunbroker for a high price and see how the bids and side offers come in.

People seem to be suggesting in this thread that there is no regular marketplace for colt stuff, which is not really accurate.

i don't think this buying & selling is as tricky or flawed as people seem to be suggesting.

Edited by buzz

I took that option and went out and shot two people today. And well it felt kind of good. better and more rewarding compared to any internet banter. I made sure I took the carcasses to a highly wooded area in the desert so when found it would be hard to recover any evidence. But did leave a few repro parts kits marked Rusco and Mills.

And a Colt parts price list from 1974 to send them off track.

They will be following up on that lead for years. {This is the kind of stuff Buzz likes to read.} not M1a1 Prices. OR is the Blish lock really bronze or plated lead?

Everybody have a good Christmas and a coming up New Year. Some of us have more to be thankful for.

Colt21 A Ron

Here's the bottom line. Most times its "buyer beware". In the case of Colt Parts its "SELLERs BEWARE". Most RKIs have a good sense of the price range for the most needed Colt Parts like barrels, and thanks to J Curtis Earl and others, a bunch of Colt Thompsons are without the correct Bolts, actuators, and two piece 1921 Buffer spring guides. Alot of guys buy fast from newbies and these parts show up later up on web sites, tables at Vegas gun shows for much higher prices etc.

I ran this piece just to see the responses I would get. I expected crickets and that what we got. No drama. Its called a free market. That is why there is also the PM feature. There are just some things folks want to keep fuzzy. After a few PMs btwn RKIs and others on this forum, parts were sold to willing buyers from a willing seller. In this case a fair deal was made. I am positive the value of the gun that was missing these parts increased more than the cost of the parts. No one got taken to the cleaners. But no cards were turned over in public. That's the difference in information and knowledge.

New Sellers beware.

Edited by Sandman1957

Ron,

Merry Christmas! I respectfully disagree that "Some of us have more to be thankful for." The fact is WE ALL HAVE EVERYTHING to be thankful for but most just don't realize it. I'm glad you, Doug Stump and others facing similar challenges are still here. We miss those who aren't. Few have a clue bird. Semper Fi, and God bless.

Steve

I have found that many Colt deals happen off boards and in private for the reasons stated above. Everyone is an "expert" these days and I reflect on a quote that I take to heart all the time "when arguing with an idiot, one must be careful not to become one"

Steve thanks for the comments, Ron you got a million of them, And Buzz remember 'When going through hell keep going"

And one from Wisconsin. "If the cheese smell's its probably Limburger"

No matter the post or tale or question it always has been a fun place to learn, And keep the History Alive. And it seems we have picked up a few new members recently...So the lessons will continue.

Colt21A Ron