Shooting Buttless

Is it a no no to shoot a 28a1 without the buttstock attached? I just piked up a used small violin case and am thinking about converting it into a case, but it appears it will only hold the gun and mag.

It'll shoot just fine without the buttstock. There was a WWII photo on the board recently of a TSMG rigged with the sling through the trigger guard for use in just that way. Good luck in controlling it!

Isn`t that called going `Commando`?....or maybe that is something else.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Personally, when I tried out the late '28A1 that was my first, I was partial to shooting without the stock. Less weight to wrestle with, and easier to get my arm directly inline with the barrel/grip/frame for the kind of "power stance" I prefer.

Just my experience. Try it, you might like it. Or not... The only way to know is to give it a shot (or two, or three, or maybe a whole mag dump...)

I've found that for my stance and physical makeup, shooting without the buttstock is generally more controllable if a vertical foregrip is also used as in the original design. I get a lot more barrel flip when a horizontal foregrip is on the gun.

Other may have different experiences, mileage may vary, etc.

MP

Some refer to firing with the buttstock removed as putting the gun in the

"Babyface Nelson Mode" ..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I have had lots of fun blazing away from the hip. as it were, and one can even achieve some accuracy by holding the gun up level and using the sights!!

We buy these to have fun with, and as long as it can be done SAFELY. have FUN with it!

john

Greg,

I also received a very old violin case, seeing that the Thompson is a tad too large for it "without" taking it apart. I've started up-scaling and producing a new case that will accommodate the Thompson intact.

Its far smaller than the guitar case that AO and Kahr offer (d)

Believe me there is more to making a violin case than meets the eye. But I am tooling up!

Give me some time, and I'll post some photos. I plan on getting a table saw by the weekend, next a steam box.

Thanks everybody, I'll give is a shot or two or probably the hole mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My young son has started introducing me to his friends as " My dad the Gangster" because of the violin/gun case project. The weird looks are great. Not only do I intemidate them because I was a Narc, but now they think I'm really crazy!!